Orange patches on Van B

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I haven't got a copy of the Oakwood book, can someone explain the true significance of the orange paches on the Van B?

Thank you

JB

Specifically to indicate that they had stoves to keep the guard warm - but, yes, the Southern didn't want to keep other Railways' guards warm so restricted them to home metals. There's a question about how orange the patches were - some sources suggest more yellow than orange ! ( Intriguingly, there's a photo of a NON-Southern bogie van in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Historic-Carriage-Drawings-Vol-Non-Passenger/dp/1899816097 which seems to have similar patches - can't remember what it is I'm afraid ..... and no idea whether the significance is the same ! )

The safe fitted vans had red patches to denote their special status - until they were painted red in BR days, when they got blue patches. Running numbers on these vans were very much larger than normal.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

Intriguingly, there's a photo of a NON-Southern bogie van in https://www.amazon.co.uk/Historic-Carriage-Drawings-Vol-Non-Passenger/dp/1899816097 which seems to have similar patches - can't remember what it is I'm afraid ..... and no idea whether the significance is the same ! 

On page 15 there's a picture of a Highland 37' 9" bogie brake at New Street in 1954 with the bottom panel of the guards door and the extreme ends of the top panel painted in a different colour to the rest of the body. It also carries STOVE branding. Three vehicles were rebuilt to brake vans from older mail vans around WW1.