My First Model Railway Layout

Alex1988

Hello. 

I am planning to build my first ever model railway layout. Ever since I was a young lad, I have been wanting to build one. I have been collecting 00 gauge trains for many many years and have a good collection. I have also just started to collect some n gauge trains as of this year. 

Recently I purchased a second hand model railway layout in N gauge on eBay. The layout cost me £40 and is approx 66 inches by 29 inches. So that’s about 5 and a half foot by 2 and a half foot. 

The layout is in a very poor state (was purchased in this state) but does operate albeit not very well. 

The reason I purchased this layout is because I have no experience building baseboards etc thought I could buy a layout already built and then add to it. The layout itself is in a figure of eight with a single track and two passing loops. I don’t really like this design but thought it would be a good place to start. 

When the layout was delivered, I realised that it needed lots of work as trains keep derailing and performance is poor. So I have decided that they layout needs completely rebuilding. So that is what I am going to do. 

I am going to rip up all the track and buy brand new peck code 55 finescale track and new peco  unifrog points.  

The plan is to make it a very simple layout as this is my first. So I am planning to use 12inch radius curves with peco tracksetta and have a single line through a country landscape with a two road fiddle yard out of view at the back to keep it simple. I am planning to make it dcc. 

I am not planning to add a station at this point as I think to keep it simple, I will just have a train running through the landscape. 

In the future I plan to build a larger 00 gauge layout but don’t have the space at present due to renting just a room in a shared house. 

What at do you guys think of this plan? If you have any ideas please let me know. 

Many thanks and and have a great day!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would of thought 5 foot by 2.5 foot isn’t a bad size in N gauge.

I do 00 so not much help.

There is bound to be some inspirational n gauge ovals out there to aspire to.

Bredon springs to mind in 00 and Chris Nervard’s latest project all with stations though!

https://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/bredon.3009/

http://nevardmedia.blogspot.com/2019/03/trainset.html

this pinged up while searching Bredon worth a look?

keep us posted good luck with it.

Cheers 

Ade

What you really want to do with & get from the hobby is a very personal choice. There is no right or wrong.

What works for me may not work for you.

Finding your own way is part of the fun.

Starting simple is a very good idea. Big, complex layouts may be appealing but they take a long time to build to any decent standard & driving a train for the first time on a layout is an experience which re-generates enthusiasm.

• Agree 1