IKA “Megafret” Matched Pair Intermodal Flat Wagons

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was doing some research on these wagons and because they are matched pairs, I was wondering if they are still numbered consecutively or have they mixed and matched as and when they come up for exams or overhaul?

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I was doing some research on these wagons and because they are matched pairs, I was wondering if they are still numbered consecutively or have they mixed and matched as and when they come up for exams or overhaul?

Are they numbered as individual wagons, or is the same number used for both wagons? Policy on this seems to vary from type to type and by owner. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Are they numbered as individual wagons, or is the same number used for both wagons? Policy on this seems to vary from type to type and by owner. 

I believe both wagons are individually numbered but I can’t seem to find out if they stay as matched pairs or swopped about.

7 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I believe both wagons are individually numbered but I can’t seem to find out if they stay as matched pairs or swopped about.

There is someone who posts on here who should know, as he works for the company that now owns them I believe.

My recollection, from the days when we used to get a copy of the train formation from RfD, and then EWS, of the formation of every freight train through the Channel Tunnel was that one wagon number covered both wagons. A train might be shown as having 14 wagons, but when you looked at the number of 45' boxes being carried, there'd be 28 shown.

• Informative/Useful 1