Plymouth - Laira, Friary & Cattlewater

dogbox321

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I fancy Ocean Quay as a modelling opportunity, as I've not seen it done by anyone else (yet?). I'm just wondering where to find any pictures of the quayside station. The only pic I've found so far is very grainy and small / far away.

https://wiki2.org/en/Ocean_Quay_railway_station+Newton#Ocean_Quay

im244-320px-Ocean_Quay_station_LSWR.jpg

Anyone found anything better?

Here's what the track looked like:

OceanQuayAnyRail.PNG.35c6f9d60df36c456fff88209b40151d.PNG

That's Fascinating Keith. The quayside looks eminently modellable and a good excuse to run Pullmans etc. to a very small station. I was at college in Plymouth for two years from 1967-1969 and, though familiar with the closed LSWR line from Friary to Sutton Harbour and Millbay station and docks, somehow missed this line though it still existed albeit closed. I must have simply assumed that  everything around Devonport was RN because I certainly explored then obscure places like Morwhellham and the Plymouth and Dartmoor.

Edited by Pacific231G

49 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Hi John, in all my Plymouth books there's invariably a picture of the grandly named Ocean Siding.  Over the years that old boat seemingly stuck in the mud has slowly deteriorated to a few rotten pieces of wood and soon nothing will be above the waterline.  I have seen a name "WREN" mentioned along with another.  Its been there ever since my early train spotting days but there is little chance of finding out more about it after all this time.

Brian.

Do you mean-

http://historic-shipping.co.uk/hulks/Antelope.html

• 1 year later...

Some sad news.....

wef 26 June 2021, the line beyond MP245m 18ch has been permanently closed.  This location is beyond the Laira Depot servicing platform, and means the whole Friary and Cattewater lines are OOU.  As EMR no longer ship by rail there's no use for the line.

Plymouth City Council want to remove the low bridge over Embankment Road, and this will facilitate this.  I didn't realise but this bridge is too low for any tall HGV hence the big Royal Mail vehicles for the Sorting Office (for example) all have to go round through Manadon/Mutley/City Centre.

No doubt NR will be quick to sell off the remaining Friary site (not more student flats??!!).

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pb_devon said:

Some sad news.....

wef 26 June 2021, the line beyond MP245m 18ch has been permanently closed.  This location is beyond the Laira Depot servicing platform, and means the whole Friary and Cattewater lines are OOU.  As EMR no longer ship by rail there's no use for the line.

Plymouth City Council want to remove the low bridge over Embankment Road, and this will facilitate this.  I didn't realise but this bridge is too low for any tall HGV hence the big Royal Mail vehicles for the Sorting Office (for example) all have to go round through Manadon/Mutley/City Centre.

No doubt NR will be quick to sell off the remaining Friary site (not more student flats??!!).

Another whole area of history goes. Has been teetering for years and years. Friary will be built on most definitely.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Its amazing it lasted this long but it meant one was able to see modern locos on some of Plymouth's oldest lines.  Scrap trains, NR trains and even excursions travelled as far as they were able.  No more mileage there now!:(

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, pb_devon said:

Some sad news.....

Is that the part between Lucas Terrace and Friar Retail Park?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Is that the part between Lucas Terrace and Friar Retail Park?

Yes, and back round to Cattewater, or at least the bit that’s left as far as the EMR scrap yard.

Edited by pb_devon
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Shows on RTT as 5Z72 1641 Plymouth Friary S.S. to Plymouth.  Not normal to show ECS arrivals but it is the West Country!

It was shown on the publicly-viewable Realtine Trains site as you say so there was no secret about it. 

While it is indeed not normal to show ECS moves on station arrival / departure boards it is far from unknown. 

In this case it may have been done because of the level of interest in the traction (class 50) and to reduce the number of enquiries directed to station staff. 

In some other locations ECS moves are displayed for the information of staff for whom they form unadvertised but authorised trips between stations and sidings / depots. These can be part of the staff’s duty i.e. rostered to travel on 5Y56 between X and Y. 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2022 at 22:01, Gwiwer said:

It was shown on the publicly-viewable Realtine Trains site as you say so there was no secret about it. 

While it is indeed not normal to show ECS moves on station arrival / departure boards it is far from unknown. 

In this case it may have been done because of the level of interest in the traction (class 50) and to reduce the number of enquiries directed to station staff. 

In some other locations ECS moves are displayed for the information of staff for whom they form unadvertised but authorised trips between stations and sidings / depots. These can be part of the staff’s duty i.e. rostered to travel on 5Y56 between X and Y. 

Excellent idea especially as it was a Special working. Good old Plymuff Staff.

Phil