Forum slow

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if it is just me but I'm  finding the forum very slow for the last three days or so. Some pages are taking up to a minute to load when using the "My activity" filter.

I've tried an alternative browser (Safari) with no change and also cleared my cache with no change.

Current browser is Firefox 68.0.1 on a MacBook Pro.

• Agree 1

Yes, I've noticed that it can take a very long time for pages to load sometimes. In particular, if I have just marked a topic as read, the black panel at the top of the page confirming will sometimes sit there for up to thirty seconds before the next page loads.

I have also noticed that it often takes a very long time for the to sign-in to take place after entering my name and password and even occasionally delivers an error message, but signs me in anyway!

I'm also a Mac user but have several contacts who are Windows users and they report seeing the same things.

John

Hi Andy,

The slow loading problems seem to come and go.

Sometimes the Forum is fairly fast and then the slow loading issue appears. It will be like that for a while and then gets quicker and then gets slow again and so on. Some days the Forum is fairly quick almost all day; on others it is slow all day.

The log-in issue also comes and goes. One time the login will occur after a couple of seconds; another time it can take upwards of a minute to respond, again on the same day.

There does not seem to be any correlation between the issues and time of day or day of the week, nor to the type of computer or mobile device or OS as far as I can observe.

When posting my previous reply, it took almost a minute with the Saving . . . button showing before the Forum became active again.

I usually visit the Forum in the morning and afternoon, but not in the evening. I'm on a very fast connection.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rab said:

It's school hols,the weather's not too good,

so the kids are all on their xboxes or whatever they use,

clogging up the web. :)

A friend of mine on the same ISP as me has come to that conclusion as well :-)

• RMweb Gold

I find the performance is very variable—one page might load instantly, the next might take a minute or so, then back to instantaneous. Pretty much the same variation occurs in acknowledging a message has been posted. This seems to have been going on for quite some time.

• Agree 3

20 hours ago, rab said:

It's school hols,the weather's not too good,

so the kids are all on their xboxes or whatever they use,

clogging up the web. :)

Not sure that is the issue as it's only RMWeb that seems to misbehave for me.

John

• Agree 5

I too have been finding RMWeb extremely slow over the past week. This has been regardless of device, OS or browser, suggesting that the issue is not at my end. It seems to have coincided with the appearance of ads in the middle of posts, although threads have all been slow to load, not just those containing ads.

However, things seem to be more or less back to normal speeds today, and browsing RMWeb is back to being a pleasant diversion rather than a frustrating struggle and test of patience.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just logged-in on my iPad and got the "something went wrong" error message . . . but I’m logged-in and reporting it here. Seen this a few times now.

Forum is running medium-slow today. Some long pauses after marking thing read.

John

• RMweb Gold

The delays may not be in RMWeb itself: I'm seeing the occasional long delay while waiting for the ad servers. This is typical of a lot of web sites that serve GoogleAds, in my experience.

The delays are random because the adverts are changed randomly (or at least changed in some pattern that's not apparent to us end users) and some ad servers are fast while others are slow.

If you're using Chrome watch the small popup in the bottom left of the window that says, "Waiting for...".

Edited by Harlequin

17 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The delays may not be in RMWeb itself: I'm seeing the occasional long delay while waiting for the ad servers. This is typical of a lot of web sites that serve GoogleAds, in my experience.

The delays are random because the adverts are changed randomly (or at least changed in some pattern that's not apparent to us end users) and some ad servers are fast while other are slow.

If you're using Chrome watch the small popup in the bottom left of the window that says, "Waiting for...".

But that does not explain the other issues that show up randomly such as the dwell when something has been marked read and the black banner sits for ages at the top of the page . . .

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

An update - Forum was slow over the weekend and also on Monday. It was back to being usable (i.e. behaving as all other forums I post on with response times in  seconds) on Tuesday but I'm now back to where it was previously, that is a minute or more to post replies to topics and also to build the Activity Streams even if just going back from reading a topic.

• Agree 1