Class 44 Lights

• RMweb Premium

I am modifying a Mainline Class 45 to a Class 44. The locomotive is hopefully going to end up as D5 "Cross Fell". I am seeking information as to the lighting system at each end. What colours were they and how were they used . I have attached a copied photo of D2 as an empty shell and I note there are 6 lights, some of which would be covered by the discs. My unit will be in the "green" mode

Looking forward with thanks for your answers

Peter

class44002derby.jpg

Edited by Peter Beckett

The 3 at the bottom and the one at the top would be white lights (actually more yellowish due to the incandescent lamps used) and would have the white discs over them, and the middle 2 would be the red tail lights although only one would be lit at a time.

None of the lamps were particularly bright and would be almost impossible to see in daylight.

Edit-

Here is a link to 44008 showing all the discs in the open position which would only be used on the Royal Train-

44008_1979_06_Toton

And a link to a picture of an ex works 5-

Ex-works Peak

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium

Hi RO,

That's fantastic especially with a pic of D5. I am guessing that D5 is blue with yellow ends and not yet renumbered 44005? 

Do you have any sources for the use of the disc codes on the LMR?

Thanks

Peter

Sorry i cant help with the codes other than the usual two outer lower ones were express passenger but I am sure others will be along to cover that or post links to other threads with it listed in, it is 03:15 here at the moment so any sensible people are asleep.

Edit-

Just done a quick search and came across this, I hope it helps-

https://www.2d53.co.uk/Headcode/headcodeC.htm

Edited by royaloak
  • Thanks 1

If you're modelling the loco in 1960s or very early 1970s mode then the lights would not be lit during the day, only after dark or in fog or falling snow. To judge the level of illumination when lit (and most trains shown don't have them lit) the old BTF film 'Snow' is useful. Nearly all model illumination is way too bright for this period.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't agree more with the last comment.

I think that high intensity lights first appeared in the 90's here, certainly not much before. In the green era locos might have had a pale glow in the cab, but nothing more. Mk1 coaches were very dim inside, and fitted with extra little lights above each seat for reading if required, even then it was still pretty dingy! So I'm afraid the bright stuff so beloved of manufacturers now, especially with the control afforded by DCC, is little more than a gimmick.

By the by, if you've started with a class 45 bodyshell, you should be aware that the side grilles are not quite the same as on a 44, there's a small difference in relative lengths.

John.

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

I agree about the lights intensity and most of my units are fitted with yellow LEDs instead of white with high value resistor to dim them. I fit lights mainly so that I can see what direction the loco is set at rather than illumination. I tracked down an old Craftmans kit (DK17) to carry out the conversion and it has the grilles covered with extension bits, etc

Peter

• Friendly/supportive 1