Brake Gear for GWR 4 wheeled wagons

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Does anyone have chapter and verse on the various braking systems in use on the GWR (say 1900 up to about 1939)?

In another topic I have been building some old Coopercraft (also Ratio & Cambrian) wagon kits but some of the brake gear supplied on the sprues doesn't seem to be right.

On the Ratio Open C "Tube" wagon the sprues contained two identical sets of brake gear for the two sides of the wagon but pictures seem to suggest there should be LH and RH sets else it wont work (in reality). there are also long brake levers but the DC brake should have the stubby ones on V hangers on the end of the solebar.

I've found similar with someof the CC kits as well (some were correct).

As the ones supplied seem to be a bit of a mix and mash do are brake gear sets available from suppliers anywhere (plastic or brass) so that I can do a better job?

Edited by melmerby

starter for ten

Generally, the CC sprues are not correct, but the first stage is to determine what you want in respect of e.g. 'right over left' or 'left over right' for each side, and then start chopping accordingly.

There's lots of good stuff on RMweb from Mikkel and Compound2632 to explore.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

While they are a bit "wordy" it may be worthwhile to down load the instructions for the Morgan design under frames as they include diagrams for all the brake gear variations - they were on the Scalefour Society site and may still be. I use the Morgan under frames and find them good albeit they are a bit of work to build up.

regards,

Craig W

Guest Lyonesse

Model Railway Constructor had an article explaining the various types, some time in the mid 70s.  Unfortunately, I can't find a reference.  Not much help, I know.

Masokits do a good range of etched brake gear for all the GWR variants and the Bill Bedford range includes some etched  fold up brake gear too (No personal interest just a satisfied customer) . 1900 -1939 would give just about all the main variations of GWR fitments. Kit makers tend to put in alternatives as the brake gear could change with Lot number (when the particular wagon was built) and due to repairs, as usual work to a photograph of a prototype if you want to be sure it's right (even if only for that particular example)  Although there were regulations about brake gear it took time for the older versions to be replaced. 

The duplicate brakes supplied in many kits are fine if you want independent either side brakes (sometimes an add on to an originally single sided vehicle) but need replacing/rebuilding if the two sides are linked to work together.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Lyonesse said:

Model Railway Constructor had an article explaining the various types, some time in the mid 70s.  Unfortunately, I can't find a reference.  Not much help, I know.

The issue with the article on Dean-Churchward brake gear is the one from July 1976.

John

Guest Lyonesse
On 16/08/2019 at 08:32, Dunsignalling said:

So do I. :jester:

I made an index of everything I kept and filed when I filleted my old mags to avoid getting buried under them all a few years ago.....

John

Thanks for that.

I ditched most of my copies of MRC during various house moves, so I no longer have May 1976.  I kept April 1976 though, mainly because of the feature on the Newport MRS "Pontypool Road" layout, which I'd very much admired when I saw it at the Victoria Rooms in Bristol in 1975(?).