Slovenia Railways and Slovenia Railway Museum

rogerfarnworth

I have just picked up a copy of Global Railway Review. The July 2019 issue. The feature article focusses on infrastructure in Slovenia. Jo, my wife, and I travelled to Slovenia in 2006 and stayed in Bled. Reading the article in Global Railway Review brought back memories of that holiday.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/08/12/slovenia-railways-and-the-slovenia-railways-museum

Don't miss out on the photographs from the museum in the appendix at the end of the linked post.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/08/2019 at 16:47, EddieB said:

Slovenia also has numerous plinthed steam locomotives at various stations around its system - including a couple of former FS Italian locomotives that we’re exchanged for former Yugoslav ones.

Yes, saw a couple yesterday between Ljubljana and Trieste, a prairie tank and further toward Italy a consolidation tender loco.

No pictures sorry but part of an interesting trip from Vienna to Trieste with detour to Lake Bled. The Semmering Bahn was of course a highlight but Ljubljana to Trieste also interesting. I was rather fooled toward the end by Google maps, thinking a the border how can this 5mile distance as crow flies take 30 mins. I didn't realise we were 1000ft above Trieste and the railway heads west first then doubles back. The drop down along the coast to Trieste was impressive even in the murky weather.

A lot of freight on the rails, not just container trains heading up from the med ports. Most locos were Siemens Eurosprinters, both Slovenian and OBB. Some locos of French origin, z front on freight. Swanky new CAF civity emu on the train from Ljubljana to Trieste last evening.

I did wander round the museum in Llubjana about 15 years ago, the museum was actually shut but as the gate opened I went in for a wander round.

i have attached a link to an Album of my Balkan photos. I have loads more prints from the early 1990’s but these need digitised at some stage.

Balkan Railways SZ HZ JZ ZBH & ZRS

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1