Shirebrook Depot circa 1965-66

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Could any RMweb members please help?

I am trying to identify locomotive class that would have been at Shirebrook depot it its first years of operation eg 1965-66.

I have found information relating to the  1970s which mentions classes 08, 20,37,47 and 56 but this is a little late for my period. I understand that in affect the depot was an Eastern region depot coming under the wing of Tinsley TMD. With that being the case, and whilst l so far not been able to find photographic evidence, would it have been feasible that class 37s and 31 would have been seen at the depot in its early years?

I have only so far found photos of class 47s from 1966.

Any help or guidance anyone could provide with be greatly appreciated

Fingers crossed

Bob C

Shirebrook West opened in Feb 1966 - it had allocations of 6 type 4s (47s) and 3 type 2s (31s) outstationed from Tinsley

The old steam shed only had diesel shunters from what I have read and that was problematical in a steam shed, they then tried converting the goods shed at Shirebrook West before accepting the inevitable and building the proper diesel depot.

My reference is the excellent Tinsley & modernisation of Sheffield's railways by Chris Booth and Alex Fisher

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for this info Woodenhead, i thought l d read somewhere that Tinsley allocated locos were out sheded there from the out set. Also thanks for correcting my dates, Feb 1966 fits better with my time scales anyway. Looks like l ll be trawling the book shelves of various emporiums for a copy of that book too!

Many Thanks

Bob C

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Even though it was a Tinsley out station, it would not be uncommon to find mainline power from Toton stabled there, especially as more and more “Merry-go-round” coal trains ramped up.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

Hi Jools, 

I did wonder about that, so a Toton 25/1, or 45 would not appear out of place in 1966 popping in for a slurp of diesel then?

Probably not but more likely a Class 47.  Remember a 25 from Bescot or Crewe might appear also.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jools,

Thats an interesting thought. So far  l ve gleened that the depot opened with 6 class 47 and 3  class 31s. However Tinsley had numerous class 20s, 25/3, 31, 37 & 47. I ve also found reference to Toton's class 44s also being seen at Tinsley around this period. So I suspect its fair to say if it was allocated to Tinsley it wound have turned up at Shirebrook sooner or later

• RMweb Premium

Looking on brdayabase.info it looks like 08 and 10's only locos that were officialy allocated. You could also add the 17's which were allocated to Tinsley before being shipped out to Barrow Hill then to Scotland.

derek 19b

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

'On Shed 4, NER and ER (North) (Kelsey, 2018), features Shirebrook (and Langwith Jc). Locos on shed are listed as;

17 Sep 65; 3 x 08, 1 x 31, 2 x47

20 Feb 66; 4 x 08, 3 x 10, 9 x47

22 Jun 69; 4 x 08/10, 12 x 31, 2 x 47, plus Kestrel !

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Derek 19B said:

Looking on brdayabase.info it looks like 08 and 10's only locos that were officialy allocated. You could also add the 17's which were allocated to Tinsley before being shipped out to Barrow Hill then to Scotland.

derek 19b

Hi Derek

Thanks for this info, I believe l found the same data base whilst trawling through the net, its one of the reasons l started this thread as it makes no mention of 47s or 31s upon  Shirebrooks's opening.

I do like the idea of a class 17, l suspect their stay was very short lived as l ve not seen any photos of a Clayton working around the east mids at this time.

Thanks

Bob c

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

'On Shed 4, NER and ER (North) (Kelsey, 2018), features Shirebrook (and Langwith Jc). Locos on shed are listed as;

17 Sep 65; 3 x 08, 1 x 31, 2 x47

20 Feb 66; 4 x 08, 3 x 10, 9 x47

22 Jun 69; 4 x 08/10, 12 x 31, 2 x 47, plus Kestrel !

Hi Caradoc

Now there's a model for Heljan to scale up to 7mm! , I bet Kestrel would look most impressive in that scale. Talking of prototype diesels, l ve seen mention that Falcon  worked out of Shirebrook for a short period in around 1963 before returning to Brush Works and then reappearing on the Western Region in 1964 

Thanks for your input

Bob C

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 04:46, Blobrick said:

Thanks Jools,

Thats an interesting thought. So far  l ve gleened that the depot opened with 6 class 47 and 3  class 31s. However Tinsley had numerous class 20s, 25/3, 31, 37 & 47. I ve also found reference to Toton's class 44s also being seen at Tinsley around this period. So I suspect its fair to say if it was allocated to Tinsley it wound have turned up at Shirebrook sooner or later

Shirebrook's loco were near 100% those of Tinlsey. Toton locos were not see on Shirebrook at this time and the two were very separate, one being the ER the other the LMR with virtually no cross working. Toton locos were seen on the Midland access to Rufford and Clipstone however from the southern access via Mansfield South junction.

As for the Class 44s, yes they worked to Toton-Tinsley freights but they returned almost immediately, as next to no Tinsley men signed them and almost certainly no Shirebrook men unless they'd come from a depot where they once did.

in the 1966-70 period it was near solid Class 31 and 47, with 20, 25s and 37s appearing later. It then became one of the first to see use of Tinsley's outbased Class 56s. Only as Railfreight began to breakdown the old regional boundaries did Shirebrook begin to see Toton allocated Class 58s.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 18B said:

Shirebrook's loco were near 100% those of Tinlsey. Toton locos were not see on Shirebrook at this time and the two were very separate, one being the ER the other the LMR with virtually no cross working. Toton locos were seen on the Midland access to Rufford and Clipstone however from the southern access via Mansfield South junction.

As for the Class 44s, yes they worked to Toton-Tinsley freights but they returned almost immediately, as next to no Tinsley men signed them and almost certainly no Shirebrook men unless they'd come from a depot where they once did.

in the 1966-70 period it was near solid Class 31 and 47, with 20, 25s and 37s appearing later. It then became one of the first to see use of Tinsley's outbased Class 56s. Only as Railfreight began to breakdown the old regional boundaries did Shirebrook begin to see Toton allocated Class 58s.

Many  Thanks for this info 18B, that ties up nicely what l seen and not seen.

A Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, thanks to your help l have a far better picture of the area's traction in the late 60s than l did when l started

• Thanks 1

The driving force behind the locos seen at Shirebrook would have been

driver traction knowledge.

I suspect the core knowledge would be 08/31/47 and only drivers which

transfered to the depot from elsewhere could possibly sign anything

else.

Trev.

• Thanks 1