Belasis Lane - a representation

AdamD98

Hello all,

I have been lurking, posting the odd message here and there for some time now. Having made the irreversible leap from 4mm to 7mm I now find myself at the start of something exciting.

Now first of all my era. My favourite railway memories are of the Thornaby triple grey sector traction thumping around the region transferring metals products and various chemicals between works locations, with the odd coal train here and there etc. So this is naturally where I like to focus my attention.

The area/the namesake and title idea. Belasis Lane as some may know is a real location and once upon a time was rife with industrial traffic, most of which was ICI works traffic, passing trains for North Tees and Seal Sands and the occasional stored rakes of various stock.

So being a Billingham boy, this is my chosen location. However because of the space, it will be a representation of, rather than a carbon copy layout. I have naturally had to use a bit of modellers license within the planning stages to achieve what I want. 

The layout will see various traction in the form of a few yard gronks, 37's, 31's, 56's, 47's and 20's. You may occasionally see a charter pass Belasis Lane box with something different leading the way. But most of the traffic will be stock for ICI and the various local chemical works in the area. HCN tanks, Ammonia tanks, chlorine tanks and so on. 

With the space available (the loft) I cannot fit scale trains in, that is just impossible, so trains will arrive and be broken down into the yard ready for the works shunter to take over. 

I will post pictures as I go and I welcome any comments including constructive criticism in order to reach the goal and bring back some memories of my youth. 

Thanks for reading folks.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

I always had a soft spot for this location. Last time I looked it still had this unusual signal. Belasis semaphore starter with Billingham's light distant beneath.

Mike Wiltshire

Belasis Lane 47501Nov28th06f.JPG

Belasis Lane Signals 3.jpg

Thanks Mike, great photos and something handy to refer to, if you don't mind of course?

Thanks for the comments folks.

On 15/08/2019 at 08:44, Coach bogie said:

Here is the box with original staircase/windows and 'extra' support in 1990. The ground disc has an electric route indicator, which I did not find anywhere else in the NE at the time.

LNER Belasis Lane Box 1990a.jpg

LNER Belasis Lane Box 1990b.jpg

LNER Belasis Lane Box 1990c.jpg

Mike, the pictures are great, thanks for sharing. Do you mind me using them for reference? 

Hi folks, just a check to see if my phone camera uploads photos.

I have made a start on the layout, just playing around with where track will sit for now. Excuse the mess folks, now I've made a start, I can produce proper updates as and when possible. Bear with me as I do work away too.

Thanks all. 

IMG_20190821_173559.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2019 at 07:04, AdamD98 said:

Hi folks, just a check to see if my phone camera uploads photos.

I have made a start on the layout, just playing around with where track will sit for now. Excuse the mess folks, now I've made a start, I can produce proper updates as and when possible. Bear with me as I do work away too.

Thanks all. 

IMG_20190821_173559.jpg

love the sign

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been renumbering locos, TE famed of course. The Heljan 37 will be 37667 'Wensleydale', closely followed by her twinned beast 668 'Leyburn'.

Not much has happened as far as layout, just ironing out the creases so to speak.

IMG_20190917_134255.jpg

IMG_20190917_134307.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Just catching up Adam, and really impressed by the weathering on the HAA, as you know I have a passion for dirty Locos and Stock and that looks really good.:good:

Thanks Andy, much appreciated.

Only another 20 to do :o but I am going to be building a few kits of TTA tanks before I get round to more weathering. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all and my apologies for the lack of updates and what not. Life just doesn't like us to get on with it sometimes! 

Anyway, to restart my thread, I have just painted this excellent MM1 models zza kit. One of a pair to be ran on the layout(s)! What a great kit it is to build too.

IMG_20200128_145723.jpg

• Like 4