B1 61306

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure if this the right thread for this but I’d like to model B1 61306 as it is now and I was wondering if anyone would give me pointers to the best recently released DCC ready OO scale model that’s close to the prototype.  I know absolutely zip about steam but I’d still like to “get it right” rather than close enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried finding a picture using Google?  Sometimes you get lucky.   Otherwise a good place to start is http://www.railuk.info/steam/steam_search.php

This gives you the last shed and bits of other info.   Other things to try to track down is did it have electric lighting?  Did it have the modified coal bunker back wall - most if  not all did in later years so you need to define a year.  Did it have an AWS box in the period you want to model.  Once you have got all that sorted you can look at what is available and what was available because you might have to track down a second hand version to get the 'base' loco you want

• Like 1

I think I was only 1/2 awake when I read your post.  61306 is Mayflower, a loco I knew well in its original form because I used to 'cab' it on a regular basis.  Further, it is also a this years winters project with a Bachmann A Harold Bibby being the starting point.  The original had electric lighting from the start and the pictures show it originally having a coal wall split over the water scoop dome but later pictures show a modified coal wall.  It was also fitted with AWS equipment and a front heating pipe (I believe that not all B1s had the front heating pipe).  Depending on the time period it would have had the smoke box door hinges painted white - an Immingham practice.  So at this point as you are modelling the preserved LNER version (which actually isn't the original Mayflower) Bon Accord is correct.  I don't know what condition the black Hornby B1 is so I cannot comment and I am not sure what the status of the Bachmann  B1 production is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

61306 hauled the last ever train to run from Hull to Market Weighton and York, departing Hull Paragon at 19.35 on Saturday, 27th November, 1965. It carried a special headboard to commemorate the sad occasion. It certainly had AWS and lighting fitted, and that’s the condition I have my model, from Hornby, in.  No white oainted hinge straps or anything else.

Regards,

Rob.