First Group wins the West Coast.

• RMweb Gold

“Avanti” well it’s English meaning of “Forward” was also on the crest of both the LNER and also the Great Central. 

.... it’s also a brand of Durex condoms... 

... The Midland with their small engine policy should perhaps have used “only slightly forward” 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 298 said:

But unfortunate today considering the northern WCML has thoroughly collapsed. Mother in Law is travelling to Edinburgh and had a 6.5hr wait at Preston for a Bus to Carlisle.

One rail replacement coach less today as I was trying to get back from Sheffield to Lancaster by train so couldn’t get to our depot to collect a coach.

3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yep wires down today apparently. Don’t know why , but I think some people have spent several hours on a train . 

Apparently NR owns the track and the cantenary, but Virgin own the wires, in readiness for handover just like they are removing decals they also are removing their wires from the railway.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

“Avanti” makes me think of Peter Kay on Phoenix Nights...

Avanti Jerry

I won’t miss Virgin, every time I’ve used them they’ve been worse than the time before - I just hope their new trains are wide enough to sit in, three days after Warley my back and shoulders are still hurting from having the window seat 

8 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

“Avanti” makes me think of Peter Kay on Phoenix Nights...

Avanti Jerry

I won’t miss Virgin, every time I’ve used them they’ve been worse than the time before - I just hope their new trains are wide enough to sit in, three days after Warley my back and shoulders are still hurting from having the window seat 

Most of the trains will be the existing 390s with some new seats - won't be any wider I wouldn't think.

New trains only total 23 - a split of bi-mode and EMUs to replace the 221s

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Not such a bad name I reckon.

Avanti in Italian is more like "forwards, onwards" than "first" (primo/prima).

Also used as an exclamation to encourage someone onwards.

My dictionary also has the meaning "in front of" as in place or position, not an ordinal number like primo.

e.g. as in English "the portico stands in front of the entrance".

I took that as you reach the portico first before the entrance hence my reasoning.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I try to go on the 221s, they’re wider at shoulder level so I’m not squashed in like on a 390 - if you get a window seat with no window there’s about 2” less space. The 390s are great on train sets but I’d rather fly

We’ve had a chuckle before about the cost and PR bull***t surrounding new corporate branding.

Here’s what one daily paper have said today......

”Avanti West Coast will also have a new logo: an orange triangle.
According to the train operators, the triangle was designed by an independent creative team of more than 100 people working in two locations: an old pickle factory in London and a theatre in Amsterdam.”

That’s right, 100 people to come up with this new idea.....a triangle.

Ron

• Funny 9

7 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

We’ve had a chuckle before about the cost and PR bull***t surrounding new corporate branding.

According to the train operators, the triangle was designed by an independent creative team of more than 100 people working in two locations: an old pickle factory in London and a theatre in Amsterdam.”

Ron

I am guessing they also did all the other branding like posters, uniforms, stations, signage etc.

Can you buy a new kitchen off them too?

The toilets and buffet should be something to behold on the new / rebranded trains.

A whole in house  design team to do the interiors

https://www.avantikb.co.uk/

Andy

PS. there is a vague similarity between the Avanti A and the new whizzy triangle.

Edited by SM42
spelling, again

• RMweb Premium

Not so keen , but thats me that doesnt like green black and orange .Sorry to see the Virgin Red go.  I suppose at the end of the day if the trains run on time and theres more of them and you get a seat, the colours irrelevant .

Avanti!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Yes The Pendolinos always looked smart in Silver Red & Black.  I don't like the current white.

New livery looks OK - will wait and see.

I don't travel on them much, just like to see them whizz past my house.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2019 at 10:41, Afroal05 said:

First train in the new livery is allegedly a 1033 departure from Euston on the 9th. Nothing visible in TRUST at that time yet. Not long to go now...

That working is in the schedule on Monday as 1Z17 and as a Short Term Plan for Monday Only, so seems a fair bet to me.

1Z17 09122019 STP 10.33 London Euston to Glasgow Central

• Thanks 1

On 28/11/2019 at 00:53, Ron Ron Ron said:

Ron

I’m clearly in the wrong business 

• Funny 1