Hattons looking for staff.

Colin_McLeod

4 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

The picture of the girl holding the loco is classic...."um, it's a green one.. it's got four little wheels..."

You mean the woman holding the loco?

And why is it you think she's incompetent? Because you've demeaned and belittled her by calling her a girl? Because she's a woman working for a model shop? Or do you have a problem with the retailer?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

And why is it you think she's incompetent? Because you've demeaned and belittled her by calling her a girl? Because she's a woman working for a model shop? Or do you have a problem with the retailer?

It's meant to be light hearted banter, just something to chuckle at like the rest of the posts.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Nova Scotian said:

Good lord

17 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

It's meant to be light hearted banter, just something to chuckle at like the rest of the posts.

Or is it misogyny? Difficult to tell, but I'd be surprised if the same comment would have been made if a bloke had been holding it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Wheres_Wally said:

Or is it misogyny? Difficult to tell, but I'd be surprised if the same comment would have been made if a bloke had been holding it. 

GIve it a rest, its just a jokey comment

22 minutes ago, Wheres_Wally said:

I appreciate you seeing the same. If someone made that comment about one of my daughters, both of whom are interested in modeling and I'm trying to encourage, I would be extremely hurt and unimpressed.

I do not see it as light banter. A comment such as that would easily put them off for life as they would not feel welcome in the hobby. There's no place for it.

• Agree 5

How do you know if Porkscratching is male or female? I found the comment funny, how do you know if I am male or female?

Banter is all too important in our oft stressful lives.  We dont all want to walk about on eggshells, too scared to say or do anything incase we are accused of something ridiculous.

The more tolerant we are forced to be in this day and age, the less tolerant I am.

Back to the picture and the girl/woman holding the loco could be explaining what the loco looks like to someone who hasn't seen it and has no idea what to expect.   'Its green and has 4 small wheels...'

4 minutes ago, JiLo said:

How do you know if Porkscratching is male or female? I found the comment funny, how do you know if I am male or female?

Banter is all too important in our oft stressful lives.  We dont all want to walk about on eggshells, too scared to say or do anything incase we are accused of something ridiculous.

The more tolerant we are forced to be in this day and age, the less tolerant I am.

Back to the picture and the girl/woman holding the loco could be explaining what the loco looks like to someone who hasn't seen it and has no idea what to expect.   'Its green and has 4 small wheels...'

I have no idea if you or the other poster is male or female; that is beside the point. There was a gendered comment made to perpetuate a stereotype that has no place here, nor in the hobby.

You are only less tolerant because you have not been the group about whom these comments have been made in the past, I assume. Had you been on the receiving end your position may be different.

In this case there was a clear link that the original post was made as a slight on women, a woman that works at Hattons. Belittling her by calling her a girl, and questioning the efficacy of her efforts in her role - based on nothing other than being female. So, this is not a ridiculous accusation on my part; it was a ridiculous assertion on the part of the original poster that I have highlighted.

Try some tolerance sometime. It won't hurt.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• AY Mod locked this topic