Movement detector?

Has anybody got any suggestions or is using or come across something suitable to detect when a loco, wagon or train has passed a certain fixed point & giving an indication in the form of say an LED? Due to the scenic end of my layout a little hidden as it enters the fiddle yard I would like to see an indication when the end of the train, loco or wagon has got to that point. I guess an LED could be lit all the time but goes out when something goes past a sensor or alternatively lights up when something is detected.

If you are looking to monitor a particular position rather than movement, then some form of infra-red detector would seem to fit the bill.  Something like the IRDOT from Heathcote Electronics - https://www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk/how_infra_red_model_train_detection_works.html.  Effectively an infra-red beam is broken when something passes over it and the LED lights up.

• Like 1

If you are happy soldering up some albeit fairly simple circuits, MERG do a range of "Pocket Money Project" kits. Although you need to pay for membership, if you buy a few kits at just a pound or two each then you soon end up ahead.

They do a couple of sorts which I have used to good effect - either a laser beam (similar to the Heathcote Electronics IR but with a laser), and a DCC track occupation sensor. 

I've used both, both kits are easy to make and work very well.

Edited by MartynJPearson
Pooor tryping