New Level 7mm Micro

Mike

Background,

New Level Mill a 7mm Micro Layout

New Level, now there’s a name to conjure with. Well no, abracadabra is a name to conjure with, but at least as a name New Level has a certain ring to it. So, questions, what’s it all about, why such a name, what and where is it?

I like building layouts simply because my enjoyment comes from the journey, rather than the finished article. I know I should get out more, but then I’m an independent almost recluse like modeller.

Well if I must start somewhere it’s better to start at the beginning. New Level is yet another Earl of Dudley based layout and yes, another piece of bunkum. As this will be the 12th layout in a series of Black Country themed layouts, it has as usual my trademark of massaged history and geographical manipulation. The layout is a snap shot of part of Round Oak Steel Works Brierley Hill and is based on a 7mm version of the Scalescenes boxfile layout. The name New Level Mill is from the New Level crossing on Level street which if you know the area is not at all level.

IMG-0806.jpg

IMG-0807.jpg

IMG-0808.jpg

IMG-0821.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Boxing clever or just in case. I have constructed perhaps better described as butchered some wood a folding base support for the layout. It's rather like a folding paste table which can be carried like a suitcase and then opened out to allow the lockable legs to fold down and the whole thing act as the supporting structure. Lightweight, compact and easy to transport.

IMG-0878.jpg

IMG-0884.jpg

IMG-0885.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Thanks,  yes it is check rails and the infill is 2mm Liteply scribed with a scrawker  painted with Tamiya deck tan with a touch of buff and the lines accentuated using a soft lead pencil. 

IMG-0903.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DanielB said:

Fantastic work Mike. Any future plans for taking this beauty out to exhibitions?

2020 Leamington Exhibition , Hardwicke, Newgog,& Alvechurch. already booked. Hopefully there will be an extension completed for the Alvechurch show.

• Like 1

Mike, I am very impressed with this.  I have a notion to do something similar using the Scalescenes boxfile kit blown up by 175%.  I'm curious about the trackplan, am I correct in assuming that there is a sector plate on the RH side of the layout? 

The covered track looks good, I will take note of your method.

John