Badger 200 airbrush has stopped working

My faithful Badger 200 airbrush has stopped working. Air is bubbling trough the paint bottle and occasionally I get a heavy stream of paint shoots out but other than that no paint comes out. Air flow is good. I have had airbrush cleaner through it and its currently sat in a bucket of white sprite. Any clue what is going on and how to get it back to working condition?

Marc

• RMweb Premium

I had this problem with a Badger 200, turned out that there was a fibrous blockage in the jet (it wasnt dried paint) that no amount of back washing or blowing would shift.  I'm afraid I went against all advice and poked it out with a VERY fine piece of wire; having carefully rounded the end off.  Seemed to be ok afterwards!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I will give it a poke in the morning. what size wire did you use?

Marc

Can't for the life of me remember!  Whatever it was it was smaller than the jet.  The usual advice was NEVER poke anything down it, as you can scratch the interior and ruin it.

However in this case I didn't have much choice.

Dave.

White spirit won't shift crud, you need something more vicious, I'm reluctant to suggest cellulose thinners, are there any seals in the brush that could be dissolved by this?

A piece of wire is a no-no in a precision instrument.

13 hours ago, Tim V said:

White spirit won't shift crud, you need something more vicious, I'm reluctant to suggest cellulose thinners, are there any seals in the brush that could be dissolved by this?

I have always run cellulose thinners every time I used it & after 15 years, I never noticed a degradation in performance.

I have attached two pictures of the airbrush. Firstly a shot of all the parts. Secondly the only thing that even looks like a seal. I'm off to get some cellulose thiners if the last clean failed.

Marc

IMG_20190816_145546686.jpg

IMG_20190816_145558631.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I have attached two pictures of the airbrush. Firstly a shot of all the parts. Secondly the only thing that even looks like a seal. I'm off to get some cellulose thiners if the last clean failed.

Marc

There's something wrong here. Are you sure those parts fit together the way you've shown them? I can't see how the nozzle fits the body. Have you disassembled the air valve as well?

34 minutes ago, Tim V said:

How long did you soak it in the cellulose thinners? At least overnight?

I haven't yet. Getting some tomorrow morning. Should I remove the air valve before soaking?

The part top left screws into the body

The part top right screws into that.

The part with the point is the air valve which screws I to the top left hand boss. And the button goes into the bottom hole.

Marc

It's worth checking all the parts are correct, have a look at the exploded diagram at https://www.obeeliks.com/contents/en-uk/p2174.html Are you sure the small seal marked 50-046 is in place ?

If so, a 24hrs soak in cellulose thinners, then put everything into an ultrasonic cleaning bath (apart from the air valve) and a careful reassembly with a tiny bit of re-lubing should solve the problem.

Also worth reading this old thread 

Edited by Paul_in_Ricky

When I clean my Badger 200, I can get the same "blowback" into the paint cup by putting my finger over the end of the head assembly. So I would think that, as referred to above, there may be something blocking the head assembly. 

The only other part that might be causing a problem could be the PTFE needle bearing in the front of the main body that supports the needle. If that is missing, then perhaps the air pressure could blow back into the paint cup (although I am not entirely sure). The parts diagram on tin the Squires online catalogue on page 254 shows the parts clearly.

http://www.squirestools.com/tools-and-materials.htm

I haven't seen it either, probably because it is fitted into the main body. 

When I strip my 200 down for cleaning, there is a definite point of resistance when refitting the needle, which must be the fit in the bearing. does yours do that?

I admit it has been many years since I last stripped down and cleaned a 200 so forgive if I am in error. It seems to my memory that the needle guide ( red circle) can be removed from that piece that it is seated in and cleaned from the back....just handle it with care and a soft touch. Plus I seem to remember that the piece circled in green had some very fine holes on either side of the central hole that also needed to be cleaned.

cheers

gene

7097500D-F6E0-4981-8388-7DDDA54C84DF.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have used a Badger 200 for many years myself. The first one stopped working after about 10 years (I had been using cellulose thinners to clean in, as per the guidance in Martyn Welch's book 'The Art of Weathering').

No amount of cleaning or stripping down etc. could get it to work again, so I bought another one. That lasted a little less than 10 years and once again, I couldn't get it to work again, no matter what I tried.

So, I've recently bought my third one. I'm trying to be sparing on the cellulose thinners now, as I believe that they may be doing something nasty inside the airbrush, probably to a seal.

I do like this airbrush, but having had a brief dalliance with a cheap twin-action airbrush last year, I'm planning on getting a better quality twin-action one in the near future.