Par - N gauge Modern day Exhibition Layout

DJTrains

New thread to announce that the first official planning meeting has taken place on the build of an N gauge recreation of Par station in Cornwall.   This is a joint venture between myself and my good friend Mike Buick.   details and photos to follow shortly.... 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, DJTrains said:

So just to clarify.....   This is going to be a 15ft x 3ft  twin mainline 'roundy' recreation of  Par station -  including the Newquay branch (for both  commuter & clay traffic).   

The whole Newquay branch, even with 15 foot that's challenging. :jester:

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2019 at 19:19, carlwooduk said:

Dave, great to see your new project taking shape. Hope you saved all that lovely ballast from Attwoods for this. Code 55 or Finetrax.?

cheers Carl

Thanks Carl,  I've got sacks of the Attwood  stuff  to get thru:laugh_mini::laugh_mini:.   This will all be Code 55,   not quite mad enough to make my own track yet. :crazy_mini: 

On 15/08/2019 at 20:00, brianusa said:

Hopefully it will be backdated to include the yard area?

Brian.

Hi Brian,

this will be pretty much as it is today ( or at least up to the end of 2018 anyway).   We have far too many HST's to play with.:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2019 at 13:48, scoobyra said:

With Dave's Par layout being the main feature, we've been thinking about a narrower layout to run along the back forming an operating well in the middle. Two locations spring to mind - Goonbarrow or Fowey Docks........watch this space!

that would make a cracking pair of layouts  Mike.    And in case anyone is wondering,  the 'we' that came up with this latest mad idea was..   ......... :crazy_mini::laugh_mini:   do I really need to say ??.

Sorry for the lack of updates,  but things are progressing.   Its been a hectic month with 'life' happening,   such as  work going on in the house with new doors and kitchen ....  plus a busy show month,  with the G.E.T.  Tings,  etc,  and Mike taking Oak Road out to Swansea.

Tops are now all on and squared up,  and bolts fitted to join it all together.     Mike has started to draw out the track plan  ready for us  to hopefully start putting the track down in the next couple of weeks.      I'm actually finding the slower pace better as it allows time to properly think through the approach and design fully -  plus a chance to test a few theories out before committing to them.   

One of the  challenges is how we raise the mainline track to go over the Newquay branch as it runs behind the scenic section. This basically means having the fiddle yard about 40mm higher than the front scenic section - and of course the yard has to be flat and level for as long as possible before dropping down to the scenic section again on the right hand end.       We've done our sums and are planning on adding 5.5mm ply under the track (on top of the baseboards).  This can then be cut into smooth gradients without having to cut into the main boards - so keeping the  base strong and square.   I also happen to have a load of suitable ply left over from crofton's backscene boards that can be reused for the purpose.

I've never been a fan of gradients on layouts - nomatter how gentle -  but we need to keep this true to life so have no option,  and with Mikes great planning,  eventually you will hardly even notice that they're there.    

This may not make much sense for now,  but all will become clear as the track appears. 

Right hand end;  sweeping curves towards the bridge & station;  the backscene will be about 1/3 of the way from the back -  so roughly 2 foot wide scenic  at the front /  1 foot wide yard at the back.

1622094605_Boardstopson1.jpg.5e3602aa70678e72599f6b9dd7b510e3.jpg

Approx position of the platforms ;   the setrack curve top centre of the pic shows where the Newquay branch will need to curve away (as it does at Par)   Don't worry tho - no Setrack will be harmed in the making of this layout :good_mini:

705909752_boardtopson3.jpg.e2bfbfc4063ce90458d23604c40e7ab8.jpg

• Like 8