First North Western before the First

Lordtrifle

Hello,

I am so new to modelling that all my layout consists of a box in which items are collected for that one day when they will actually run but I had a question about the precursor to First North Western, North Western Trains, and in particular the livery. I know that North Western Trains had a dark blue livery with a gold star but all the pictures I can find of this livery also has "First North Western". What did the trains have on them before FirstGroup bought out the other shareholders and changed the name in November 1998? I'm trying to collect for a layout that will ultimately be set in this 1997/1998 time-frame so I'm curious.

Also, and now that you're here reading it, how do you go about finding out things like 'how many coaches did the London-Holyhead intercity service have?' and 'what was the difference in the types of cargo pulled by Freightliner and EWS?' The sort of questions an absolute beginner (like myself) would ask.

A good place to look would be in the Pacer thread.

Pre 1997 it was Regional Railways which was still a part of BR. Livery was like this and most trains still carried this style of livery for quite a while after BR ceased to exist.

640px-Hugh_Llewellyn_regional_railways_s

Photo Hugh Llewellyn via Wiki

It was for a short time called Network North West in a similar way to Network South East but it didn't last very long. Only a couple of Sprinters received it I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Railways

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_North_Western

Jason