Heljan Clayton 17

Legend

• RMweb Premium

I got my Clayton out , possibly for the first time in a couple of years. It ran fine but seems very noisy. So I thought I’d maybe give it a little oiling . The Heljan instructions suggest lubrication from time to time but unhelpfully don’t say where. Taking the body off the top of the gear towers aren’t readily accessible . There seems to be a circuit board covering both towers and looks like it’s attached at the centre of the loco.  So I’m sure someone here must have lubricated their loco, the question is where did you oil and how did you get access to the gear trains which to me is probably the critical bit to oil. 

Any help would be gratefully received 

Take the bottom of each bogie frame off (or maybe the whole frame - cant quite remember)  That'll give you access to the gears.  A spot of oil on them and a good run should sort it out

I would be surprised if the noise is coming from the gears in the bogies, better source may the metal worm at the top of the bogie and it's bearings. If it has not been run in a while, dismantling to remove the factory applied lubricant might be a good idea as this has been know to thicken over time. As for taking the chassis apart, take a photo of which plug goes where on the circuit board, and everything else is just clip together.

Edited by cheesysmith
Spellchecker
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I would be surprised if the noise is coming from the gears in the bogies, better source may the metal worm at the top of the bogie and it's bearings. If it has not been run in a while, dismantling to remove the factory applied lubricant might be a good idea as this has been know to thicken over time. As for taking the chassis apart, take a photo of which plug goes where on the circuit board, and everything else is just clip together.

Thanks cheesysmith . The circuit board does appear to be attached to the top of the motor . It could be a plug arrangement but I don’t want to force it just in case it’s soldered. The board does effectively prevent access to the top of the gear towers so it isn’t possible to oil them without removing the board. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just acquired one (D8574) in mint condition.  Chassis is fine but was, understandably slow and croaky! I removed the PCB, which was held in place by 4 screws at the centre of the chassis and checked the drivetrain worm gear - it was already well lubricated.  The bogie gears, had hardly any grease on them, so applied a modest amount.

I separated the motor from the universal couplings and then ran it for about 20 mins each way, half and full speed.  Re-assembled, and it ran much better.

The loco is still bit noisier than would be ideal, but at low to medium speed it is quite good.  I would expect 2-3 hours running will further improve matters.

I bought it to give it a home on Clayton End Signalman!

Hope that helps.

Edited by 70000 Britannia