N gauge drive shafts

Tomsontour

Hello all I've recently acquired a pair of the Dapol manors, lovely little locos but I cannot for the life of me seem to get the drive shafts back in place, they seem to long once in place and then cannot get the loco to sit flat. Is it a case of pushing the side on the loco in more? I don't want to force it and do damage. 

Any assistance would be superb, a confused matt! 

When you push the shaft into the shaft retainer on the motor you should feel a click as it passes the built in retainer, you may not be pushing it in far enough.

Welcome to the world of the Pain In The Proverbial Dapol Drive Shaft

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If the motor was spinning when the shaft came out it may be slightly misaligned. To fix this either the shaft retainer on either the loco or the tender needs to be gently rotated. 

• Informative/Useful 1

I've tried again this morning and all I've managed to do is bend one the drive ends of the drive shaft, ah well time to give dcc supplies a call when they open, I'd rather pay to have them do it, then do anymore damage, roll on the new motors from Dapol when the bulleids come out

Thanks all :)

Matt

It's probably advisable to learn and master how to do it yourself rather than sending the loco away and paying for it to be done because, as sure as eggs is eggs, once it has come out it will happen time and time again.

Once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature. 

G

• Friendly/supportive 1

I get that Grahame, but I just can't physically push the shaft in anymore then it already is, and when trying to reconnect the tender the loco and tender sit as if they are on the pyramids, it's baffling me. 

I'll give it another go after tomorrow but if I can then they'll be sent off 

Matt

It's not a matter of just simply forcefully shoving it in. You need to make sure the cross bar lines up with the cut out in the receptical. Some gentle twisting is probably necessary as already mentioned so that they are aligned.

G

• Like 1

There is a knack to getting driveshafts back.  The Manor is a close relative of the Hall, which ordinarily is the easiest one to do - if you want to know the worst of the lot it is the Britannia.

If the locos were not new then check the driveshafts are the right ones.  My Hall has a driveshaft 14mm long.  However my dead IXION Manor has a driveshaft 12mm long.  I'm not sure which length the one in the Dapol Manor is - perhaps someone can measure it and report.

Hints-  make sure you are in plenty of light that you can shine straight onto the model to light up inside the cab.  Use a pair of small curved-end pliers.  Put the loco end of the driveshaft in first.  Then when you find the other end isn't aligned (it never is as the motor will always rotate a little once freed) use a cocktail stick to rotate the cone at the front of the tender so the lugs on the driveshaft line up with the slots.

Then apply a GENTLE push to engage the lugs.  Anything more means you've got something wrong somewhere down the line.

To try to avoid the shaft popping out in the first place ALWAYS pick the loco by the cab AND tender to keep them in a straight line.  Doing the same for Farish avoids damaging the spring loco to tender connections and on both makes also protects the valve gear.

Les (with a fleet of between 40 and 50 Dapol locos with drive shafts)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just thought I'd update this, Paul at alton models is going to take a look with so I can watch him do one and I'll do the other :) superb customer service, can't ask for much more then that, I'll be sure to buy something like a loco while in there as a way to say thank you :)

Matt

Just thought I'd update this, Paul at alton models is going to take a look with so I can watch him do one and I'll do the other :) superb customer service, can't ask for much more then that, I'll be sure to buy something like a loco while in there as a way to say thank you :)

Matt