KR Models announce Nuclear Flask Wagon.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Sorry - I don't follow you?

Regards,

Colin McLeod

Knowing what the product is, a comment you made is on the money. The product is an unusual and interesting choice, but it'd be unfair to announce it prior to the official announcement. A further clue, it can't be operated (prototypically), with the GT3.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And the link has KUA in it too despite the page stating IQA. TOPS  codes have changed before but I do not think this is the case here. However I am not too familiar with these wagons as I believe they are too late for my modelling period. 

I think this would be the first DCC operated British outline wagon?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Now that is an impressive wagon.  I had no idea that it existed previously.  Certainly a worthy challenge for the company as a second release and no doubt will inspire interest.   I found this link (states as insecure on my computer) detailing the KUA prototype (not the IQA) and how to build one.  Given the amount of work involved the asking price of GBP125.00 from KRModels does not seem that expensive.

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/kua/index.htm

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional info
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, truffy said:

From here:

krm-iqa.png

That is the DCC version which is £125 +VAT so £150. The basic version including VAT is £80 + p&p

Never thought I would be defending KR Models but it seems wrong to imply the models are expensive but to only quote the price of the more expensive dcc version?

http://www.krmodels.co.uk/iqa-nuclear-flask-wagon.html

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to KR Models and we wish the company every success with the project.

The vehicle was to be one of 25  'new entries' in the modern freight category of The Wishlist Poll 2019 - but has now been deleted.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

5 minutes ago, Ryde-on-time said:

That is the DCC version which is £125 +VAT so £150. The basic version including VAT is £80 + p&p

Never thought I would be defending KR Models but it seems wrong to imply the models are expensive but to only quote the price of the more expensive dcc version?

http://www.krmodels.co.uk/iqa-nuclear-flask-wagon.html

Possibly so. But given that £125 could get you some decent locomotives (albeit without DCC), it seems high for what, to me at first, seemed like a niche product. But, according to @BMacdermott, perhaps it's not as niche as I imagined.

I'm not complaining, mind you, this is way out of my modelling interest so is completely irrelevant to me.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, PMP said:

Knowing what the product is, a comment you made is on the money. The product is an unusual and interesting choice, but it'd be unfair to announce it prior to the official announcement. A further clue, it can't be operated (prototypically), with the GT3.

I understand now. My Aug 15 post about opening doors!

Thanks.

• Like 1

A very interesting wagon!

Something tells me the prototypes were built in France? I could be quite wrong about that.

Yes, the digital version will be expensive but sliding hood covers? Nice. Already been done in H0 (by Roco, steel wagons) but I could quite fancy a 4mm version.

The only problem would be that to legitimately open those covers, you'd have to model some sort of nuclear facility?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There were two KUA , MODA 95770 / 771 , so the model is of an IQA French version 33.87.9985.008 and 009 ? , although there were iirc two ? German versions also will need to find the issues of rail express which had details of all the flask wagons . Also seem to recall that the French versions were never really used and stood idle for a long time at Crewe ? Myself I think doing the KUA would have been a wiser choice . 

The link to the pic shows what I assume we're the German version as the pic is dated 1994

Class 47 47345 Plymouth April 94

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Certainly a wagon I’m interested in getting

looking at the website i can only assume this isn’t a crowdfunded project like the GT3 as it says ‘add to basket’ rather than ‘express interest’ as after reading the best part of 4 pages of snide and below the belt comments about the company (and the proprietor) I’m not sure whether to order one incase I lose my money if the goods don’t appear

it’s a shame for KR models as I’m sure there are others like me who would order one but are reluctant to thanks to comments on here? 

Edited by big jim
Wrong company initials
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Maybe it will have dark green LEDs that glow when you open it ?

wagon seems interesting, not sure myself that the prototype selected is the right choice for a DCC operated wagon though.

Its not quite a first though, Roco had self opening carriage doors in HO several years ago it didnt hit the spot. Dapol suggested a DCC water tower a few years back, not sure what happened to it.

All the best with it, lets see how this turns out.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1