KR Models announce Nuclear Flask Wagon.

Colin_McLeod

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

There is nothing wrong with KR or anyone else letting us know about their future plans, and we should take care not to tar them with another's brush.

Anyone getting into the r-t-r model railway market will need to have a second item (and probably a third) under development almost from the beginning to ensure continuity in the business once the first emerges and (hopefully) sells out quickly.

Equally, there shouldn't be so much on the go that progress on the launch product is impeded, but the need for that item to begin making a return a.s.a.p. should be self-evident to the proprietor (though in the recent case being cited as a possible parallel, that seems not to have been so.) 

What must be avoided to maintain consumer confidence is making over-optimistic predictions on timescales, and that applies just as much to the big boys as the newbies (if not more so).

We have no evidence that KR are likely to fall into that trap, so maybe we should cut him/them a little slack unless presented with indications to the contrary.

John

I can see why people are wary, DJM has tainted crowdfunding for many people (I didn't partake myself, met the man briefly once, and as my friend said 'I wouldnt trust him with the steam off my dogs p*ss')

I hope KR Models do produce great items, as its always good to have new entrants in the hobby, but equally I hope they dont announce too much stuff at once.

John,

announcements of announcements are not a smart move right now given the past history with DJ,  just prior abandoning the ship.  Keith needs to be aware that while he may be posting on Facebook any news will filter back to this site and simply making an announcement that something will be announced in the future simply stirs up the echoes of many hollow promises we read on another manufacturer's website.   Words and promises.  I do not doubt Keith's intentions but given that many are a little gun shy of late,  Keith really needs to be on his toes to avoid that tar brush.  Products should not be announced until there is something of value to announce, meaning a product in development,  not just words.

• Agree 1

Announcements of announcements can work though. Remember the Oxford Adams Radial Tank thread? We were foaming with anticipation for weeks. A little glimpse of a buffer in the fog....

Okay the model was eventually eclipsed by the superior Hornby model. But if Hornby hadn't already virtually finished theirs the Oxford one would have been received much better. Some people actually prefer it.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Equally, there shouldn't be so much on the go that progress on the launch product is impeded, but the need for that item to begin making a return a.s.a.p. should be self-evident to the proprietor (though in the recent case being cited as a possible parallel, that seems not to have been so.) 

It doen't need to make a return, The premise for the project proceeding at all was that it is fully funded before hitting the button to proceed. 

The amount of monies required by tooling and production was in excess of that required and were (in my opinion) being asked for well in advance of requirement. 

• Agree 1

Regardless of the prudence of an announcement of an announcement, it does seem that there are a large number of people on this forum who do seem to revel in putting the boot in when the tiniest mistake is made. What has Keith done here really? He's put a single sentence on facbook - lets actually give him the chance to mess up before we begin comparing him to now liquidated companies shall we?

• Agree 4

21 minutes ago, Edge said:

Regardless of the prudence of an announcement of an announcement, it does seem that there are a large number of people on this forum who do seem to revel in putting the boot in when the tiniest mistake is made. What has Keith done here really? He's put a single sentence on facbook - lets actually give him the chance to mess up before we begin comparing him to now liquidated companies shall we?

I can't see anyone putting the boot in.

It's just the fact that people should learn by mistakes whether made by themselves or others. It's also better not to make those mistakes when it involves other peoples money. He really should be looking at where DJ went wrong and not doing exactly the same thing.

Jason

• Agree 6

4 hours ago, Edge said:

Nobody is putting the boot in.

If you read the original thread you will see various members of the forum offered good advice on setting up a business and in dealing with the practicalities of the UK model railway market.

This advice was generally ignored until it reached the point where he stopped posting.

Such matters as not being sure if it was a person or a company is one point that attracted a number of comments.

The lack of a distributor and the apparent lack of any costings regarding this matter was another, as was the, to me, rather ambitious time scale.

To then follow up by appearing to be going down the same road as another concern is just the sort of move to spark off another round of adverse comments.

As you write, the announcement is just a single sentence on Facebook. If you look at the whole picture it might be seen in a different light.

Bernard

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Edge said:

I think most people just think announcing an announcement is pretty nugatory. What next to be one up on the competition, announcing an announcement of an announcement?

• Like 2

His latest facebook page posted today says he recieved his new expo stand which will be shown at the Great Central expo on the 12-13th October.....

.... where he hopes to have EP samples of the GT3 on view plus details on the (this?) new product. And hopefully another new announcement , which he is still working on.

So, we may get to hear about in just under 2 months and maybe also see an EP of a GT3. At worst there will be a  new expo stand to look at!

It must be costing a fair dose to ship that lot across and his own flights. So I hope has at least an EP to show everyone as that will pay dividends.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, JSpencer said:

His latest facebook page posted today says he recieved his new expo stand which will be shown at the Great Central expo on the 12-13th October.....

.... where he hopes to have EP samples of the GT3 on view plus details on the (this?) new product. And hopefully another new announcement , which he is still working on.

So, we may get to hear about in just under 2 months and maybe also see an EP of a GT3. At worst there will be a  new expo stand to look at!

It must be costing a fair dose to ship that lot across and his own flights. So I hope has at least an EP to show everyone as that will pay dividends.

That's confusing. If he means some kind of event at the Great Central Railway in the UK, like the annual Model Event held in June, it's news to me that there is anything more than a normal running weekend on those dates in October, and I work there! Of course it could refer to some other event somewhere else and he's got the name mixed up, or the dates mixed up.

Now the weekend before is the Autumn Steam Gala at the Great Central - lots of visitors and lots of stands.

Edited by Andy W

9 hours ago, JSpencer said:

1 hour ago, Andy W said:

Now the weekend before is the Autumn Steam Gala at the Great Central - lots of visitors and lots of stands.

It's going to be even more expensive if he turns up a week late!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

An announcement of an announcement is a marketing ploy to raise a degree of interest and to get people talking about the prospect.

It seems to have worked.

People will either agree or disagree with the tactic but as long as they are talking about it the plan has worked. Awareness of the business and their upcoming announcement has been raised.

Job done!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

An announcement of an announcement is a marketing ploy to raise a degree of interest and to get people talking about the prospect.

It seems to have worked.

People will either agree or disagree with the tactic but as long as they are talking about it the plan has worked. Awareness of the business and their upcoming announcement has been raised.

Job done!

You're right Tony, it worked for DJM. . . oh hang on....;)

• Funny 1

Morning all. Unless it's been edited since the original post. There doesn't seem to be any mention of the great central railway. But instead it's the Great Electric Train Show on those dates which would be correct. I know from emails with Keith that show was always on his plans aswell as warley.

Gary 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

You're right Tony, it worked for DJM. . . oh hang on....;)

Lots of other manufacturers have done it too. Not just in model railways either. Why single out the one that went bad?

I have to say that I find the constant sarcastic and snide DJM comments very unfunny.

• Agree 6

3 hours ago, Andy W said:

That's confusing. If he means some kind of event at the Great Central Railway in the UK, like the annual Model Event held in June, it's news to me that there is anything more than a normal running weekend on those dates in October, and I work there! Of course it could refer to some other event somewhere else and he's got the name mixed up, or the dates mixed up.

2 hours ago, truffy said:

It's going to be even more expensive if he turns up a week late!

47 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

Morning all. Unless it's been edited since the original post. There doesn't seem to be any mention of the great central railway. But instead it's the Great Electric Train Show on those dates which would be correct. I know from emails with Keith that show was always on his plans aswell as warley.

Gary 

Indeed Great Electric Train show. Not sure how Central crept in there.... I must put on my 'new' reading specs!!!!

• Funny 1

34 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Lots of other manufacturers have done it too. Not just in model railways either. Why single out the one that went bad?

I have to say that I find the constant sarcastic and snide DJM comments very unfunny.

The similarity is that at present Keith is delivering CADs and nothing else with expensive trips from over the Atlantic to promote his models in the UK in addition I expect to similar trips to China.

As long as he turns up at GETS and Warley with at the very least a functioning EP of the GT3 and solid proposals for his next two models and there isn't the sign of running away with himself like the other chap then things will settle down and we will have another Canadian based model railway company.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

So until models are progressed we can expect more sarcasm?

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Trying to taint a new manufacturer with innuendo and association with a different outfit that failed hardly seems fair or encouraging.

If it was my call, I would wait and see and be ready to have a dig if there is a failure to deliver, rather than start the digs at such an early stage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9