7mm John Summers iron ore hoppers

I remember the iron ore trains to John Summers well from the 1960s, when I played rugby (Birkenhead School/Old Birkonians) on a playing field right next to the bank that they climbed. A 9F struggling with the heavy load was quite a sight especially with the evening sun behind it.

I would like to model one of these trains in 4 mm & contacted Peter Midwinter of Cheona Publications, as they publish a book "An Illustrated History of the ICI Hopper Wagon" by Paul Harrison & Peter Midwinter. The book is still in print & contains lots of B + W & clour photos. The ICI & John Summers bogie hoppers are almost identical - both came from Charles Roberts, I think. Peter Midwnter was interested in producing a limited run of kits for these wagons, but the last I heard he thought that there would not be sufficient demand, so the ptoject was put on ice. However, he can be contacted via the Cheona Publications website & if sufficient people are interested, perhaps he might reconsider getting kits for these wagons made. If so, I would be delighted. I want 10!

Regards,

ecgtheow

.... if sufficient people are interested, perhaps he might reconsider getting kits for these wagons made. If so, I would be delighted. I want 10!

I seem to recall that, some time back, a Derbyshire-based company offered resin kits of the ICI bogie hopper and the Co-Bo locos.

I never saw these kits in the flesh, or read a review, but the rather poor advert photos suggested to me that they were a bit 'chunky', so I never investigated them further.

Anyone have first-hand experience of them?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

EDIT - see

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/234/entry-585-great-tunsley-dale/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=234&showentry=584

The latter link suggests that an etched kit has been produced by Uncommon Kits.

10 of these with a 9F would make an impressive sight you couldn't fit on many 7mm layouts!

:)

itll be a while before I get a 9f, would love an ex crosti one. in the meantime itll be class 40 haulage :)

the club has got a new large O gauge layout, perfect for running long trains and theres a kit of the wagons in 7mm :)

http://www.warrenshephard.com/wagon_kits.htm

Mike

:) itll be a while before I get a 9f, would love an ex crosti one. in the meantime itll be class 40 haulage :)

the club has got a new large O gauge layout, perfect for running long trains and theres a kit of the wagons in 7mm :)

http://www.warrenshephard.com/wagon_kits.htm

Mike

Nice big pictures there of some of the GWR ballast wagons.. Pity those 7mm kits aren't available in 4mm though you can get an N30.

The kit link enlarges too though that build isn't the best! http://www.warrenshephard.com/images/Wagons/Wagons%20Large/2009_0729%20C.jpg It does suit brass nicely.

aye, but for the price of them Im not too bothered, and something to refresh the soldering skills on :)

Sorry, I meant that particular one has a couple of wobbly bits on it rather than anything on the quality of the kit itself. They do do some very cheap 7mm GWR locos though..

yeah thats what I thought you meant, but even if the kit didnt look so good, Id still give it a go as I was looking into scratchbuilding them if not, as I really liked them, lucky that these have not long come out :)

will be ordering one soon to have a go of, Im in the mood for some brass soldering, and fancy a kit too where everythings there and not having to bodge and fix, spend ages on kits that stall for one reason or another. just want something to build pretty nice, easy and fairly accurate.

and as I say, could do with freshening up on the soldering skills before Im back on locos.

Mike

Just to say "Warren Shephard" will be at the Reading ALSRM show this weekend.

They do do some very cheap 7mm GWR locos though

and a sentinel

not that that will look very realistic pulling these lumps.

theres a nice shot here of 2 type 2's on a working

http://www.derbysulzers.com/24032neston75.jpg

Ive never seen a shot of a ROD 2-8-0 on these trains,

Ive seen a few good 9f shots, quite a bit of film.

dont think ive seen a shot of a class 40 on a train, I think they didnt last long and had brake tenders, got a shot of them on shed at Mollington st with the tenders at the time.

seen a few shots of green 47s after the 9fs went.

and even blue double headed 24,25 shots seem hard to come by.

:(

Mike

• RMweb Gold

theres a nice shot here of 2 type 2's on a working

http://www.derbysulzers.com/24032neston75.jpg

Ive never seen a shot of a ROD 2-8-0 on these trains,

Ive seen a few good 9f shots, quite a bit of film.

dont think ive seen a shot of a class 40 on a train, I think they didnt last long and had brake tenders, got a shot of them on shed at Mollington st with the tenders at the time.

seen a few shots of green 47s after the 9fs went.

and even blue double headed 24,25 shots seem hard to come by.

That looks like my old mate Colin driving at Neston.

40s were initially used without brake tenders but the brakes weren't up to the job.

I think I've got one shot of 2X25s on the train, as per usual I signalled plenty of them but didn't photograph :(

• RMweb Premium

cant remember off hand, but I thought the summers wagons where lower.

Mike

Hi

From memory of reading the previously mentioned book, 6" lower though in N I ignored this as its only 0.5mm.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

wouldnt mind seeing a shot or 2 of your wagons Paul :)

and your shot Dave :)

Mike

Hi Mike

I should be able to photograph it sometime over the weekend (it still requires painting). It has its origins in the Ian Stoate kit but I completely scratchbuilt the chassis as I felt the supplied one caused the wagon to ride too high.

I have only built the one as it is for my planned Derby RTC layout which had 19152 on test for a period.

Picture as promised

12xng1.jpg

Cheers

Paul

Hi Ken

thanks for the link, it is a nice bit of footage. it was already linked to in an earlier post but that aint important, I think that piece of film should be brought to a wider audience, might post it in the prototype section where more people will see it.

managed to win a copy of the Paul Harrison ICI wagons book on ebay, hope it has some helpful modelling info on the summers wagons :)

Mike

Hi Paul,

wagon looks superb, thanks for the pic.

the book has arrived and ive been enjoying flicking through it.

Ive also just ordered my first wagon from Warren, so looking forward to getting stuck into that.

and have had a lot of help on the kit and prototype info off forum, so thanks go out for that.

cheers for the help chaps

Mike

not being too well up with locations on the Wirral. Ive been using google earth to identify lineside locations filmed.

the line is lined with electricity pylons so was quite easy to identify areas.

quick quiz

can anyone tell me why this shot is significant? no prizes sorry.

something I found out when trying to pin down the location.

vlcsnap-497789.png

Mike

not being too well up with locations on the Wirral. Ive been using google earth to identify lineside locations filmed.

the line is lined with electricity pylons so was quite easy to identify areas.

quick quiz

can anyone tell me why this shot is significant? no prizes sorry.

something I found out when trying to pin down the location.

vlcsnap-497789.png

Mike

As a guess the pillbox was at or near rail leval and has slid down the embacment over time?

OzzyO.

As a guess the pillbox was at or near rail level and has slid down the embankment over time?

OzzyO.

Deeply improbable, and not only because no Civil Engineer would have allowed trains to run on an embankment that did that. Secondly, note the foundations and the likelihood that the building had only been there 20 years. From a military perspective, the 'stop lines' these 'boxes were a part of used helpful physical features to buttress them. Railway lines, with their embankments and cuttings were pretty handy. In this instance, though I've no idea where it is, any military threat would presumably have been expected from where the camera was positioned. The pillbox is there to make a difficult obstacle even more so.

Adam

• 11 months later...

Its approx a year since I last did anything on this, Id only opened it up and cleaned a few bits and did a couple of soldering joints. before life and other projects took over.

today I thought Id better get on with it so got it out and I would say Im around half way through now, there is a lot of riveted angle irons and gussets to put on yet.

overall the kit is very nice, slot and tabbed which all fit well, no real headaches at all.

the hopper and chassis are not attached to each other yet.

I havent yet got myself a riveting tool yet, last year at the clubrooms I was given a lesson on how to use one, I did all the rivets on this kit that night. but then it went back in the drawer.

I dont think Ive been down to the club since then, i want to go down but thought Id best get this done before I do :D

summerswagon.jpg

Mike

Archived