DCC Circuit breakers - what to look for when buying

BoD

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

The NCE EB-1 has adjustable trip time 16mS -512mS to allow for power up surges.

The EB-1 has been around a long time > 7 years.

Someone mentioned the Digikeijs DR5000 a few posts back.  I'm still wiring up but as far as I can tell the EB1s (kept from the previous setup and around 11 years old) are quick enough to cut out before the 5000. 

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, njee20 said:

not touched the PSX current settings (apparently it's "about 4A" by default, but presumably if the current trip setting of PSX was greater than than the ECoS output it just wouldn't be tripping, the ECoS would get there first? I

The trip level is the level below which it will not trip. Short circuit current will be, momenrarily, way higher than the trip level of either the boster or PSX and both may trip, regardless of their setting. What matters is the reaction time. The PSX must cut the power before the booster

9 hours ago, njee20 said:

• 1 year later...
On 15/08/2019 at 13:21, AndrewC said:

Multiple PSX units should all be in parallel and fed directly from the booster. If you are using a Digikeijs DR5000 then forget it. That thing shuts down too fast even for a PSX. Been there, done that, gave up. I now only power the track from boosters that have their loconet messaging switched off. 

If you are getting wheel shorts on your pointwork you need to look at some gapping and rewiring. I'm assuming you are using insulfrog points without insulated rail joiners. This is not DCC friendly. The only time you should ever get a short is when going through a wrongly set point or a derailment. 

I too am using a DR5000  and a booster DR5033 and I wanted to split both using PSX units into 4 regions.  It seems the Digikeijs stuff is going to cut out before the PSX - I guess you adjusted the reaction time in the setup app?  Any ideas of an alternative without having to shell out for further boosters?  I imagine switching off loconet would effect occupancy detection within my DR4088 units. Any info appreciated.

you need to ensure that the PSX units are set to trip at a lower current rating than the DR5000. the DR5000 is 3A therefore I suggest that the PSX needs to trip around 2.5A

EDIT - IIRC the PSX  will need to be set at around 1.5A as it doesn't have a 2.5A setting

PSX-Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf (dccconcepts.com)

Edited by WIMorrison
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

you need to ensure that the PSX units are set to trip at a lower current rating than the DR5000. the DR5000 is 3A therefore I suggest that the PSX needs to trip around 2.5A

EDIT - IIRC the PSX  will need to be set at around 1.5A as it doesn't have a 2.5A setting

PSX-Quick-Reference-Guide.pdf (dccconcepts.com)

The PSX trip settings are 1.27, 2.54, 3.81 and upwards but requires to be set via CVs rather than jumpers. 

PSX.JPG.4883f285cd4054d4d3c937cccdb82b15.JPG

Edited by RFS
Added diagram
  • Like 1