3D Printed Bogie

Hi

Looking at printing my own bogie and was just after some guidance.  Having a look at the bogies I current have and online, my first question is, the new bogies have roller bearings, does that mean are the wheelsets set into a bearing? Or are they just set into the plastic.  I guess you can model a cone shape for the wheel to sit in, then just use a truck tuner tool to get the right shape.

Cheers

Hi...I drew my version of these 2 for improving the ratio kits with the rather flimsy coupling etc. Uses a standard nem type either kadee or mini tension lock.

Printed on a cr10s filament printer, they work fine using a 2mm hole to take a romford top hat bearing.

Also doing unobtanium models as well, Crocodile Transformer and Well sets Codon gas tank wagons etc.

Currently working on an  Aero wagon for carrying propellors.

Trial and error to get things to fit within the printers capabilities but very interesting to do.

BOGIES.png

Wagon set.png

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Gauge and scale? what printer will you be using.

I can send you a file which might give you an insight into my way of drawing this.

I print upside down as shown with just a little support on the sides to clean up.

Ive not printed these on my new printer yet but they could be slimmed down a fraction too, its all about the resoulution used, currently  between .1mm and .2 is fine for me.

Im a residential design drafter so Cad is what I do all day, mostly.

20190817_190204.jpg

20190729_160537.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi....Im using a Creality cr10s now, I havent re visited these since first doing them on my older gtech i3 clone. Probaly can be fine tuned more but not got there yet. Dwg and a dxf here for you. I set them for Dapol wheels with romford bearings.

Happy to see what you or others come up with.  

BOGIES.dxf BOGIES.dwg

• 2 weeks later...

I printed some test bogies in i.Materialise grey resin a few years ago. I found that if I made the sideframes thin enough to flex to insert the

wheelsets, then they tended to spread over time with the weight of the wagon on the pinpoint bearings. 

So, I tried thickening up the sideframes so that they are quite rigid, and printing the bogie in 2 pieces, as per attached screenshot, which are held together with screws. This approach has been successful. I do use standard brass bearings press fitted into holes in the sideframes. 

I have also printed a 1-piece bogie in which the brass bearings are pressed in from below, to fit the wheelset. This works provided the axlebox/bearing is large enough to have at least 0.5 mm material either side of the slot which houses the brass bearing. 

I haven't tried including the conical bearing hole in the 3D print, so I don't know how it would wear over time. 

My bogies are in Sn3.5 scale but wagon size/weight is similar to other 16.5 mm gauge models. 

IMG_2665.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 month later...

Hi

Well the bogie was finally printed using a Anycubic Photon, the bogie came out ok, but with a few missing bits, in the first photo where the coupler is going part of the wall is missing (tried to draw on where the wall should be).

In the second photo, on the sideframe there should be a full circle (like in the third photo) not half, but this happen on one side not the other.

When I checked the STL file, it's all there so I'm not sure what to change so I'm not missing anything for the next time.  I didn't angle the print just flat and raised it 5mm above the bed with auto supports.

Cheers

_MG_1040w.jpg

_MG_1041w.jpg

_MG_1042w.jpg

It might need additional supports?  Did you take a photo prior to removing supports, or a screenshot of the automatically generated supports?

Curious that you have included the coupler mount, presumably for Kadees or similar?  Body mounted couplers generally perform better, e.g. with much less risk of derailment when pushing a train.

Thanks, that worked a treat, the coupler is mounted on the body, I've done it so it fits a #5 kadee coupler.  I only printed part of the under carriage to see how it all goes together.

From the test print the coupler is at the right hieght when the bogie was attached, just need to spread the sideframes apart, just a tad so the bearing will fit better.  Without the bearings it's all square, with the bearings the side frame is pushed out a bit.