East Jackson MI and Franklin Falls NH

• 4 weeks later...

Looking great. The first pic reminds me of Jon Grants 'Sweethome Alabama' and this photo I took at Newcastle.

Your pics have convinced me it's time to return to the 'Darkside' and Conrail Shared Assets Operations!

sweethome alabama.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I really like this little layout Long Island Jack.  The Conrail nee Penn Central faded green boxcar is so subtle.  Really effective. Can I just add one polite comment about the sound on the Alco, having driven a few diesels in my time.  A driver tends to apply power to get the loco moving, then eases down on the power controller, then shutting off, or leaving it in the "on" position. This means the engine is "ticking over" as much as it is revving. i think your Alco could be more realistic with some coasting, and hope you don't mind me saying.

Fantastic job. 

Edited by Covkid
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

I struggle to make head or tail of ESU manuals, to be honest. I think the manual for my Loksound L decoders says that manual notching can be activated, but I couldn't see anywhere where it said what values to put in what CVs to enable this :dontknow: :banghead:

On the other hand I set one of my Tsunamis for manual notching; loved being able to notch up before moving off, and 'coasting' - BUT - having to press extra buttons to do this whilst doing switching in particular became a bit of a pain, so now I don't bother with it.

Anyway @Covkid, you may drive modern UK trains; bet you've never driven an old Alco??!! ;)

This'll wet your appetite :locomotive:

• Like 6

8 hours ago, DanielB said:

I thought loksound had drive hold on them, or is this not what you guys are talking about?

Not quite the same thing AFAIK. Drive hold is for ramping up the engine to notch 8, whilst the loco is only crawling along, simulating lugging a very heavy train uphill.

Manual notching is being able to control the engine speed independant of the loco speed, so you can 'rev up' before moving off, but reduce engine speed to idle once the train is rolling. It is a nice feature but I can't see how to activate it in the ESU manual. Heck I had to start a thread just to get 'Rule 17' lights working as I couldn't decipher the manual..!! @Prof Klyzlr came to the rescue that time!! :good: :yes:

• Like 1

Been playing with the C425, i'd forgot i had a problem with the chip and sent it back,it came back with update chip with drive hold of f9, it works a treat,just need to move the function to f6, f9 is bit of a fiddle on lenz,

Edited by long island jack
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2020 at 15:15, long island jack said:

95% done, just some people to add and fine a route for power lines.

Just need the  exhibition circuit to get started sometime ,maybe not this year, but you never know!! 

98312705_2635579970052537_5869142169410863104_n.jpg.46df986593f70c21188cb3bbcab6bdb0.jpg

Hi Jack, could I ask what the source for this building was (should I be assuming from other comments it’s a kitbashed Walthers)?  My first guess was either a couple of low relief kits, but from this angle it’s not a background building.

Just wondered - love the layout.  

Thanks, Keith.