Whitland & Cardigan Railway, 1930s (OO Gauge)

petejones

• RMweb Gold

Liking the Newport (Parrog) terminus.  Couple suggestions if I may; the section starts at the edge of the board and any shunting movement in the goods yard will block it.  As this is going to be a bit busier than the other yards on the branch and shunting movements are likely to clash with passenger running around moves, I would have thought a headshunt would have been put in.  Ideally it needs to be as long as the longest siding, no.1 road, but you can get away with a lot less.  My mental image of this terminus is that it is on the south bank of the river where it enters the harbour, and you have room for a headshunt before what I assume would have been a level crossing over the A487.

A kick back road off the end loading road for the cattle dock, no.4, might serve the need for fish traffic.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions.

Perhaps I can make this board longer - 300cm rather than 240cm. Good idea about the fish traffic. I will change the shape of the cattle dock - I just used the one I built for the other station - having two identical ones wouldn't look great. I added the bay road to cater for increased passenger traffic during the summer months, as it's a holiday destination and would have been a useful source of revenue back then?

21 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Did you look at Cardigan? That’s the obvious template, of course.

Oh yes! I was looking at modelling Cardigan earlier this year and drew up a track plan, but the layout is awkward as it's on a huge curve (see below). I think it would look good in the corner of a room, or more like along two walls either side of a corner. The plan I drew up for Newport is a hodge-podge of Cardigan, Boncath and Newcastle Emlyn really.

Cardigan v.3.0.jpg

Edited by petejones
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • petejones changed the title to Whitland to Cardigan Branch Line, 1950s (OO Gauge)

Right, after a lot of dithering I put the Inglenook Siding idea to bed and am back on this one now. However, I'm going to concentrate on Whitland Shed (I will simplify the track plan I came up with last year as I think the board will look too crowded). Whether this leads onto further development of the line, I will have to wait and see, but this should keep me occupied for a while :P

Slight changes to the plan - the shed looks a lot longer from the pics I have, it looks like it would have housed at least two locos, so I've extended that; also removed the spur to the turntable as this isn't in pictures from the 1950s; finally, I replace one of the turnouts with a Y turnout as it looks slightly better.

Whitland Shed v.3.2.jpg

Edited by petejones
  • Like 1

A couple more tweaks.

I have a track diagram with the mileage siding capacities written on and it does bring home how compressed we have to make a layout for it to fit the available space. The sidings should really be twice as long as they are.

Whitland Shed v.3.3.jpg

Edited by petejones

• RMweb Gold

The proportions of your plan look a bit wrong to me. The very long very shallow angle on the right squeezes the shed to the left. Could you get that track to turn a bit more and open up the angles? Maybe have a look at the old mapping web sites.

I think you really need two loco lines beside the shed because you can see in the photos that the coaling shelter was over the outer line with a coal wagon standing beneath it.

If you moved the turnout for the "14 mileage" to the left and/or the TT to the right the TT would fit more naturally in the angles between the lines.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1