Engineer's coach DW 150302

rogerSDJR

BTU = Breakdown Train unit

5153 was a C54 bow-ended, flush side corridor third built in 1929/30.  If you want to model it in 4mm you’re in luck as it’s in the current Hornby range.

Edited by Penrhos1920

I believe that 5143 was built as a TK, possible later reclassified as a SK. [DW 150302 BTU] 

I'm certainly very interested of any books or web sites on Ex GWR Engineers coaches etc which might have any more information.

What is of interest, another Collett TK coach 5043 [Lot 1383 Dia C54 built 1928 at Swindon] was converted to a BTU staff coach also 1963 (ADW 150301) preceeding number!

This coach according to 'RCTS Scedule of Preserved Coaches, GWR design coaching stock {up dated 19-7-2013} was stored at the Severn Valley Railway.

16 hours ago, rogerSDJR said:

What is of interest, another Collett TK coach 5043 [Lot 1383 Dia C54 built 1928 at Swindon] was converted to a BTU staff coach also 1963 (ADW 150301) preceeding number!

This coach according to 'RCTS Scedule of Preserved Coaches, GWR design coaching stock {up dated 19-7-2013} was stored at the Severn Valley Railway.

This is a little more up to date http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=202 ......... 150302  doesn't seem to have survived.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2019 at 20:58, Penrhos1920 said:

BTU = Breakdown Train unit

5153 was a C54 bow-ended, flush side corridor third built in 1929/30.  If you want to model it in 4mm you’re in luck as it’s in the current Hornby range.

Interest piqued.

Being a tad ignorant in matters GWR, what is the Hornby reference number for this coach please?

Mike.

I think that whether you use the Hornby coach with the GWR or BR version paint scheme, you will still need to repaint it to Eng Dept red (see here:

). 

Looks like you will also have to do some carving and filling of the windows on the non-corridor side (no idea what the other side might have had done) as one pair of windows appear to have been made into one and at least one door plus several windows has been blanked out.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2019 at 23:25, rogerSDJR said:

Thank you for this information.

If it was converted for use at Laira in '63 how come soon after in '65 it was at Templecombe?

Where was it allocated to after the closure of the S&D in March 1966?

Laira closed in (April?) 1964.

• RMweb Gold

1.  Judging by the running number, its colour, and the location where it was photographed it definitely isn't an engineers' (in the normal railway understanding of the term) vehicle.  It is painted in breakdown train colouring and it has an RM running number indicating that it is a Running and Maintenance Dept vehicle.  This immediately indicates to me that it was in breakdown train use (as already noted by 'Penrhos') as either a riding van or a combined riding and tool van.

2. It may well have been converted (at Laira) for use at Templecombe as the Regional boundary transfer took place on 1 january 1963 and both locations were later in the same R&M Divisional organisation.  it probably replaced an ex S&DJtR or SR vehicle at Templecombe shed when the new owners decided a replacement was needed or the previous owner spirited away a vehicle they wanted to keep.

3.  Laira depot did not close in 1964 - in fact it is still open today.  The steam shed was - according to one usually reliable online railway source - closed in 1965.

• Like 1

From what I have so far gleaned from various sources, including '2857'org.uk who converted DW 150301 [photo by MJ Imber], the sister coach to DW 150302 is as attached.

However I'm yet to work out what the compartment side look like, but I hoping someone might have some information

The colour of the coach was Signal Red.

This coach replace an Ex LSWR 56' Lav Brake 3rd. SR Dia 125 in 1965.IMG_5063.JPG.34ca9ced002a3f621d74ed69ae3d0a23.JPGIMG_5064.JPG.5bb38239a985bbc12bd2434525f3287a.JPGW5043W.jpg.9856c02c096a440a74ca9020af8ce1ea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...