Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Very nice, as Nearholmer says, clean milk tank, but also a mineral wagon far right. Was there still coal delivered to the dairy or for domestic use?

I hadn't seen those CRS pictures before, answers a few questions about latter day Heathfield traffic. I had no idea about the Ambrosia trial! And I can't make out what the 'sheeted hopper' from the Newton Abbot Clays siding actually is, possibly an HEA? Anyone got an idea?

It is a Procor ex BP Salt hopper in chin clay traffic.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpchemicalpga/e1b069a62i

Mark Saunders 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

It is a Procor ex BP Salt hopper in chin clay traffic.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpchemicalpga/e1b069a62i

Mark Saunders 

Thanks Mark, more new info on clay traffic :D

Unfortunately your link doesn't work, the collection of images starts here

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/bpchemicalpga

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, peanuts said:

havent seen any mention of Chaderton ccd or Bells waggon works at Redish both active untill mid 80s iirc 

Has Chadderton ever had a passenger station though, I thought it had always been goods only? And wasn't Bells a private siding rather than a station goods yard?

These are slightly OT, but I took some pictures of the ICI site at Gathurst a few years ago to see if anything remained of the NG network. There wasn't much left, but you could see where the sidings led to the buildings where the explosives were stored?? Also I found a few bits of scrap rail hiding in some of the undergrowth.

DSCF1295b.JPG

DSCF1293b.JPG

DSCF1283b.JPG

DSCF1280b.JPG

DSCF1272c.JPG

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 12

On 28/08/2019 at 20:56, sb67 said:

I was in Wroxham, Norfolk last week and took these pics of what used to be the old goods yard. I wonder if anybody could point me in the right direction of any pics or info of when it was in use? I did a google search and didn't find too much.

Also the concrete hut looks the same type as the ratio kit, assuming it's still in it's original place, does anyone know when that was still being used and would the small platform have been rail side?

I find the fact it's still around inspiring for a small layout, what if...………….. :)

1.JPG.7635d69082479b45143ecdd569221fb5.JPG

2.JPG.9509edc1fef9e2661ba9150f213b7c9c.JPG

Steve

I used to have the track plan for Wroxham somewhere, it always looked quite an interesting setup covering a few different traffics.

North Walsham further along the line is an interesting yard too; track still mostly there for the oil condensate tanks, but what looks like a large goods shed and other sidings still in place.

Heading the other way; despite the station closing, Whitlingham (?) junction still had its goods yard for cement deliveries until some point in the blue TOPS era... I think!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2019 at 20:35, Tim V said:

So this has gone? There were also estates of empty housing like this.

Corby 1 July 1980 Olympus OM1 200-002.jpg

Corby 1 July 1980 Olympus OM1 199-017.jpg

Corby 1 July 1980 Olympus OM1 199-018.jpg

looked at the area on maps and it would seem that a lot of the housing was kept - the flats in the 2nd pic, I think were at the end of Burghley Drive where it joined Cecil Drive and were demolished. But look at the '60s map compared to the satellite image and most of the houses are still there.

Blue marker shows approx. position of pic.2 (looking roughly NW): https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.4817&lon=-0.6951&layers=193&b=1&marker=52.4809,-0.694282  (use slider on left to go between map/satellite view)

If you then turn to the left you get pic.3

possible modern day streetview for pic.3: https://goo.gl/maps/bJRb7zjBjtTfDHRX7

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

I used to have the track plan for Wroxham somewhere, it always looked quite an interesting setup covering a few different traffics.

North Walsham further along the line is an interesting yard too; track still mostly there for the oil condensate tanks, but what looks like a large goods shed and other sidings still in place.

Heading the other way; despite the station closing, Whitlingham (?) junction still had its goods yard for cement deliveries until some point in the blue TOPS era... I think!

It's shown in my 1980' Baker'; operator was Blue Circle.

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Something like this - information from an early Quail Map book. The next edition showed the crossover in the yard removed, The current version shows just a single siding 

Nick

Wroxham track plan.pdf

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, stivesnick said:

Something like this - information from an early Quail Map book. The next edition showed the crossover in the yard removed, The current version shows just a single siding 

Nick

Wroxham track plan.pdf 86.34 kB · 5 downloads

Yes, similar to that. It was the length of the loop and sidings that was interesting, got the impression that the furthest sidings were possibly along side a large warehouse with loading docks, but I might have imagined that, and the loop was quite short and ran under a loading device of some description, possibly grain?

Was the crossover a remnant of the junction for the branch to Aylsham before that was closed? (Now BVR)

15 hours ago, keefer said:

looked at the area on maps and it would seem that a lot of the housing was kept - the flats in the 2nd pic, I think were at the end of Burghley Drive where it joined Cecil Drive and were demolished. But look at the '60s map compared to the satellite image and most of the houses are still there.

Blue marker shows approx. position of pic.2 (looking roughly NW): https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.4817&lon=-0.6951&layers=193&b=1&marker=52.4809,-0.694282  (use slider on left to go between map/satellite view)

If you then turn to the left you get pic.3

possible modern day streetview for pic.3: https://goo.gl/maps/bJRb7zjBjtTfDHRX7

This wasn't far from the other picture of Corby.

And for balance, Llandeilo 3/7/80.

Llandeilo_3_July_1980_Olympus_OM1_201-005.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Yes, similar to that. It was the length of the loop and sidings that was interesting, got the impression that the furthest sidings were possibly along side a large warehouse with loading docks, but I might have imagined that, and the loop was quite short and ran under a loading device of some description, possibly grain?

Was the crossover a remnant of the junction for the branch to Aylsham before that was closed? (Now BVR)

Thanks for this. The old-maps uk web-site does show a number of large buildings by the track - there is a timber yard and various cold storage buildings. 

I also remember the loading hopper and many years back thinking about a model based around the station, brought a ratio loading hopper and planned to extend the sides upwards.

The Aylsham branch had long gone and the BVR came later, so not sure about your last point.

Nick 

45 minutes ago, stivesnick said:

Thanks for this. The old-maps uk web-site does show a number of large buildings by the track - there is a timber yard and various cold storage buildings. 

I also remember the loading hopper and many years back thinking about a model based around the station, brought a ratio loading hopper and planned to extend the sides upwards.

The Aylsham branch had long gone and the BVR came later, so not sure about your last point.

Nick 

Think I mis-read your previous post and was talking about the crossover on the mainline. Nevermind.

21 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Nick

Wroxham track plan.pdf 86.34 kB · 21 downloads

Thanks for that Nick, do you know how the yard would have been operated, i.e. bringing a train in and exchanging wagons etc?

Steve. 

17 hours ago, Tim V said:

This wasn't far from the other picture of Corby.

And for balance, Llandeilo 3/7/80.

Llandeilo_3_July_1980_Olympus_OM1_201-005.jpg

I love the 2nd photo and the transition from the ballast on the main line into the goods yard. I'd like to replicate that on a model. I'm guessing that's a stack of coal next to the wagon.

Steve

4 hours ago, sb67 said:

I love the 2nd photo and the transition from the ballast on the main line into the goods yard. I'd like to replicate that on a model. I'm guessing that's a stack of coal next to the wagon.

Steve

For inspiration, a couple more, same day.

Colour one taken on a different date.

Llandeilo 3 July 1980 Olympus OM1 201-001.jpg

Llandeilo_3_July_1980_Olympus_OM1_201-004.jpg

Llandeilo 3 July 1980 Olympus OM1 201-003.jpg

Llandeilo Prinz.jpg

Edited by Tim V
  • Like 17

Wymondham is another that springs to mind. I think it's fairly similar today to 40 years ago. I saw a video once of it in use, cement in the loop behind the station, brake van for the rear of the freights to Dereham and North Elmham held in the sidings just beyond the junction. Interesting manouvers having to shunt and run round on the mainline.

On 01/09/2019 at 10:48, Satan's Goldfish said:

The large warehouse adjacent to the north end of the sidings at Wroxham was (and probably still is) used for potato storage, I seem to remember the building being re-clad 5-10 years ago.

The large goods shed at North Walsham had a rail siding along the rear and was also used for potato storage in times gone by, last time I was there it had been taken over by the Norfolk Motorcycle Museum. The goods yard at North Walsham is situated between the main line and BPA's gas condensate terminal, during GBRf's period of ownership it was used by Frimstone as a rail served aggregate terminal for a while, but following the sale of the lease back to Network Rail I suspect rail traffic is unlikely to return.

Whitlingham Jn used to receive occasional trainloads of cement from BCI Northfleet when demand was heavy, but I think it was normally served by wagonload (Speedlink) services.

• Informative/Useful 1