Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

13 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks for that Nick, do you know how the yard would have been operated, i.e. bringing a train in and exchanging wagons etc?

Steve. 

Hi Steve

I don't know and can only guess.. 

If there was any traffic for North Walsham, then might have been easier to shunt on return trip to Norwich by backing into the yard. If only traffic for Wroxham, my guess would be; run past the platform, run around train, draw into Norwich platform and then shunt back into the sidings. 

Repeat again, this is only a guess, hopefully some former railwaymen will be able to explain.

Nick   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Hi Steve

I don't know and can only guess.. 

If there was any traffic for North Walsham, then might have been easier to shunt on return trip to Norwich by backing into the yard. If only traffic for Wroxham, my guess would be; run past the platform, run around train, draw into Norwich platform and then shunt back into the sidings. 

Repeat again, this is only a guess, hopefully some former railwaymen will be able to explain.

Nick   

From an East Anglian DVD on 70's freight operation ISTR there was a bit of freewheeling going on in the area to save running round in tricky situations.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Close to where the 31 is standing in the photograph there is now just a short length of isolated track with a pair of Sea Urchin wagons marooned on it, one of them has a tree growing out of it ;).

Working along the route at night in the Winter months is quite spooky particularly in thick fog, there's a strange remoteness about the place despite being just a few miles from the middle of Brum.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Close to where the 31 is standing in the photograph there is now just a short length of isolated track with a pair of Sea Urchin wagons marooned on it, one of them has a tree growing out of it ;).

Working along the route at night in the Winter months is quite spooky particularly in thick fog, there's a strange remoteness about the place despite being just a few miles from the middle of Brum.

I think those wagons are leftover from a collision between two ballast trains in the late 90s, just up the line, near where it crosses Chester Road.  There were two down the bank too, but I think those have gone now.

Andy

Edited by SM42
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

If you look at the last picture on this page you can see them!

http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/Stations/sutton_park.php

There's also a bit of history about the Royal Mail depot here with a couple pictures of the sidings.

http://www.sutton-coldfield.net/sorting office.html

Also looking on Google Street View it looks like the site has been redeveloped with housing, but the goods shed has been preserved and was for sale! 

https://tinyurl.com/yxfh7qqa

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/09/2019 at 15:50, SED Freightman said:

Whitlingham Jn used to receive occasional trainloads of cement from BCI Northfleet when demand was heavy, but I think it was normally served by wagonload (Speedlink) services.

Back in the 70s and very early 80s I lived only half a mile from Whitlingham Jn. 

I've seen photos of cement wagons being in the sidings as late as 76 and remember them there myself, but I don't think it lasted long after that. I certainly never saw a loco in there

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Braintree Old Station Goods Yard 

I would love to build a model of that building. Can anyone tell me what the rear is likely to have looked like, would it be plain walls or have windows?

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I would love to build a model of that building. Can anyone tell me what the rear is likely to have looked like, would it be plain walls or have windows?

Perfect for my requirements too.

I would imagine a plain back wall, which mine will have anyway as it abuts the line in from the fiddlestick.

Thanks to the OP, the pallet van details are very useful as well.

Mike.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Regularity said:

You might want to ask Hywel Thomas about his mess cabin:

spacer.png

Nice photo, I've seen that before somewhere. I like the armchair and cuppa outside, and the stuff lying around makes a really nice scene.