Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

3 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I never get tired of seeing this picture,  it is one of the key photo's that inspired me to build this (I have the 03 as well)

20200623_155533.jpg.0b631830a58b89fbd0be45220a094559.jpg

Nice work so far, but you really need to elevate the grot level on your layout for that extra realism.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I don't think EG goods yard was functional at that stage. I'm fairly certain that the train is a CM&EE cable-troughing train out of Horsham in connection with the electrification works, stabled between possessions.

Yeah, it does say on the picture that it's a departmental train, but it's a nice picture showing the old goods shed.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 15:58, 37114 said:

I can definitely fit that in, may even model it with the doors open.

I know you like a challenge, so, if you do model a weighbridge then a model of one of the Pooley vans would be interesting.

The Pooley vans travelled around the network with equipment to calibrate and maintain the weighbridges, and were often old vehicles. On Flickr there is a photo by Robert Tarling showing part of DW150236 at Lawrence Hill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/7337167714/in/photolist-cbmUkC-njA2U8-K6eps2-JMdEKL-K431SC

cheers

1 hour ago, Rivercider said:

I know you like a challenge, so, if you do model a weighbridge then a model of one of the Pooley vans would be interesting.

The Pooley vans travelled around the network with equipment to calibrate and maintain the weighbridges, and were often old vehicles. On Flickr there is a photo by Robert Tarling showing part of DW150236 at Lawrence Hill.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/7337167714/in/photolist-cbmUkC-njA2U8-K6eps2-JMdEKL-K431SC

cheers

I had a look at the layout this morning Kevin, I reckon I can fit in the Lawrence Hill set up on the rear most siding so will have a go at the weighbridge first then the van.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tim V said:

This 'may' be of some use to you, a drawing from when I measured the weigh shed at Radstock - note the date ...

img100.jpg

Thanks Tim, that is helpful for the bridge dimensions and spacing from the building. I have ordered a weigh table from Severn models and started to scratch build the building based on Lawrence Hill but have built it as a mirror image.

20200628_180601.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

There is an interesting photo on page 19 of the Aug/Sept 2020 edition of "Classic Bus" magazine, taken at Lawrence Hill goods yard in Bristol.

Obviously, I cannot post it here, but it shows two Bristol VRT bus chassis from a Northampton Borough Transport order being returned to Bristol by rail from Scotland, due to a backlog of work at Alexanders of Falkirk.  Was surprised to see rail being used at this late stage to return them south, and certainly not a photo I have seen before.

One for Smiths reading room if you don't buy the magazine......

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Regularity said:

What late stage? When was the photo taken?

November 1977 according to the caption.

Its part of an interesting article on road testing and delivering completed Bristol bus chassis by road to various bodyworks, but mainly Eastern Coach Works at Lowestoft.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

There is an interesting photo on page 19 of the Aug/Sept 2020 edition of "Classic Bus" magazine, taken at Lawrence Hill goods yard in Bristol.

Obviously, I cannot post it here, but it shows two Bristol VRT bus chassis from a Northampton Borough Transport order being returned to Bristol by rail from Scotland, due to a backlog of work at Alexanders of Falkirk.  Was surprised to see rail being used at this late stage to return them south, and certainly not a photo I have seen before.

One for Smiths reading room if you don't buy the magazine......

It is on Flickr somewhere, I even thought about modelling it some years ago. Alexander over committed on the volumes they could do, and left the chassis outside where they deteriorated (there is rust visible in the photo if I recall). They went back to Brislington for rectification then Northampton stored the repaired chassis in their depot until Alexander could body them.  As could be expected, Northampton were not impressed and switched to East Lancs for their last batch of VRs

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

It is on Flickr somewhere, I even thought about modelling it some years ago. Alexander over committed on the volumes they could do, and left the chassis outside where they deteriorated (there is rust visible in the photo if I recall). They went back to Brislington for rectification then Northampton stored the repaired chassis in their depot until Alexander could body them.  As could be expected, Northampton were not impressed and switched to East Lancs for their last batch of VRs

A regular sight when hitch-hiking on the M5 in the early 1970s were chassis from Bristol heading north. The driver would be clad in a heavy gabardine trench coat, and often a flying helmet  and goggles; there was absolutely no protection from the weather.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 37114 said:

Well done Rob, I remembered a Flickr photo too, but couldn't find it when I searched last night. I suspect the photo in the current magazine article is the one in the Bristol VR book as both are authored by Martin S Curtis, and that shows a different pair of chassis, further along the yard and not showing as much of modelling interest as Stephen Dowle's photo linked above.

Looking again at the linked photo, what a wonderful private yard leading off the BR yard! A lean-to built up against the road retaining wall, advertising hording and neighbouring buildings. A sloping, rutted, ground surface, and a degree of decrepitude. Does the lorry have a version of the Motor Panel LAD cab? 

That little area has most of the characteristics I find hard to include in my models: an odd shape and uneven, gradually sloping ground. I think I can probably model it reasonably well, but when designing my mind struggles to go beyond "flat" and "square" (although my modelling usually removes the precision of both terms!).

A great photo. 

11 hours ago, 37114 said:

It's actually a different photo to that one - the chassis look in better condition in the Classic Bus photo ! 

The photo is taken from slightly further away with a brake van and more of the surroundings visible - but looking in a totally different direction (large office block in background).  Would certainly make an interesting subject for a model.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 1

On 13/05/2020 at 15:20, andye said:

Great picture, interesting in that none of the sidings appear to be connected to the line that the DMU is on, and yet there is stock in the sidings! 

Points into the yard at No.1 ground frame are not visible. They are right towards the bottom of the picture next to the shallow wall on their left.

3 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

It's actually a different photo to that one - the chassis look in better condition in the Classic Bus photo ! 

The photo is taken from slightly further away with a brake van and more of the surroundings visible - but looking in a totally different direction (large office block in background).  Would certainly make an interesting subject for a model.

I will have to try and get a copy, to have a look. It would certainly be a challenging scratchbuild but a probably unique model!.

• 1 month later...

image.png.4acb59267dfae9fcffb6908532676126.png

I like the improvised coal "staithe" on the left of this extract. Are there more permanent "staithes", of the kind people often put in models, on the right?

(Yes I know the word staithe is wrong)

Acknowledgement to Tom Burnham, the photographer and owner of the image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21602076@N05/with/6231933062/

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant photo - that's the view from the footbridge I got walking to the Floyd school every day.  You can see the Shell oil depot in the distance too.  The facing Y point accessed the stub dock on the up side of Aylesbury station.  Some years later Haversham, a green 08, used to regularly be parked under the bridge there.

Thanks for posting - terrific.

Matt W

Edited by D826
Getting my downs and ups the wrong way round !
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/09/2020 at 19:24, D826 said:

Brilliant photo - that's the view from the footbridge I got walking to the Floyd school every day.  You can see the Shell oil depot in the distance too.  The facing Y point accessed the stub dock on the up side of Aylesbury station.  Some years later Haversham, a green 08, used to regularly be parked under the bridge there.

Thanks for posting - terrific.

Matt W

This one? :D

1989 - Oldest BR Diesel, at Aylesbury.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1