Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Diss 1976

Diss station 1976 (3)

Diss station 1976 (4)

Diss Is Diss Station

I am a bit puzzled by the point operation at Diss. The point in the foreground which gives access to the main line is hand operated. The point off the main line and the trap in the loop and the one in the loop siding must all be under the control of the signaller so why is there a hand operated point in the middle of them?

David

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

I am a bit puzzled by the point operation at Diss. The point in the foreground which gives access to the main line is hand operated. The point off the main line and the trap in the loop and the one in the loop siding must all be under the control of the signaller so why is there a hand operated point in the middle of them?

David

The trap and the point to the right (next to the parked cars) are controlled from the signalbox, so the goods yard is trapped, and the position of the hand operated point is irrelevant to the safety/fail safe interlocking. (I guess)

I'm sure The Signalman can explain it better!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...
Guest Jack Benson

Originally posted May 28, 2012, this lovely image of a small yard just prior to the timeframe of this discussion nevertheless, it is of interest, if only to those starved of space.

Any ideas where, when etc.  I think that a very fiddly crane needs to be made :-)

Cheers and Stay Safe

1035669123_YardCrane.jpg.75b09409b1db2ec6ba2de51aa5d369ab.jpg

Superb.

Every Hornby 0 gauge tinplate layout has this scene on it, and many HD ones too!

The crane you want is the Dinky Supertoys 973, but it is a somewhat indeterminate scale, maybe S, rather than 0 or 00.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Originally posted May 28, 2012, this lovely image of a small yard just prior to the timeframe of this discussion nevertheless, it is of interest, if only to those starved of space.

Any ideas where, when etc.  I think that a very fiddly crane needs to be made :-)

Cheers and Stay Safe

1035669123_YardCrane.jpg.75b09409b1db2ec6ba2de51aa5d369ab.jpg

Funnily enough, the imminent release of Dapol's 0 Gauge Conflat and container recently got me thinking about when they were last in regular use, which according to a website was 1977.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Superb.

Every Hornby 0 gauge tinplate layout has this scene on it, and many HD ones too!

The crane you want is the Dinky Supertoys 973, but it is a somewhat indeterminate scale, maybe S, rather than 0 or 00.

In 00, you have a choice of the Oxford Freightlifter and the Corgi Coles crane.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jack Benson

This excellent thread started with an image of Gathurst, a goods interchange to a munitions factory. May I ask if ROF Bridgewater ever had a rail interchange? In the 70s, I took a working party to Bridgewater to collect a number of munitions destined for RNAS Yeovilton but the wagons were in BR sidings. 

Cheers and thanks

3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

This excellent thread started with an image of Gathurst, a goods interchange to a munitions factory. May I ask if ROF Bridgewater ever had a rail interchange? In the 70s, I took a working party to Bridgewater to collect a number of munitions destined for RNAS Yeovilton but the wagons were in BR sidings. 

Cheers and thanks

THere was an internal network: Paul Bartlett's site has some photos of the stock. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofpuriton

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest Jack Benson
11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

THere was an internal network: Paul Bartlett's site has some photos of the stock. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofpuriton

Thank you, I had no idea that the site was so extensive, I wonder if there were any internal motive power? It is a shame that rail connected sites like ROF Bridgewater at Puriton slip into obscurity.

Maybe a need for a blog to gather such information before it is lost forever?

Cheers and StaySafe

There is, forever in draft, an Industrial Railway Society handbook about military sites, which will bring these places out of the shadows a bit. Trouble is, even now 'new' sites keep being identified - there is a big discussion going on now on the IRS forum about target-trolley lines, of which there were many more than any one person realised.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

There is, forever in draft, an Industrial Railway Society handbook about military sites, which will bring these places out of the shadows a bit. Trouble is, even now 'new' sites keep being identified - there is a big discussion going on now on the IRS forum about target-trolley lines, of which there were many more than any one person realised.

A ride on those might be a little 'interesting'

• Funny 2

On 25/11/2020 at 19:33, Jack Benson said:

Cheers and thanks

See https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rofpuriton

But agree munitions were loaded at Bridgwater. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=bridgwater 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1