Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

11 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Thank you, I had no idea that the site was so extensive, I wonder if there were any internal motive power? It is a shame that rail connected sites like ROF Bridgewater at Puriton slip into obscurity.

Maybe a need for a blog to gather such information before it is lost forever?

The World War Two Railway Study Group has published such information over the years

ww2rsg.org.uk

On 26/11/2020 at 09:50, Jack Benson said:

Thank you, I had no idea that the site was so extensive, I wonder if there were any internal motive power? It is a shame that rail connected sites like ROF Bridgewater at Puriton slip into obscurity.

Maybe a need for a blog to gather such information before it is lost forever?

Cheers and StaySafe

The two Barclay locos that latterly worked at ROF Puriton are preserved on the West Somerset Railway.

There would be a weekday local trip working from Bridgwater to the BR exchange sidings at Huntspill, there the BR loco and crew would exchange traffic with the ROF loco and crew. I believe the Barclay locos were equipped for multiple working, when the M5 was built a new line had to be built from Huntspill to access the ROF crossing on a bridge over the motorway. 

IMG_9076.JPG.eaa95274343156c1032473336bfe5bda.JPG

One of the pair of Barclay locos at Minehead 15/4/2018.

cheers

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, BusDriver said:

I’m currently modelling Gathurst as one part of my layout due to its interest and the fact it’s my local station. It’s being modelled as a ‘what if’ the sidings were still in operation, or at least not a car park as it is now. 
Here are a few reference photos I found in the course of my research into the station’s history. 

A general overview of the station including narrow gauge bridge across the Douglas and the canal to the other side of the valley

Z9th2hd.jpg

A closer shot of the NG bridge from the station to the works

vgiUB0E.jpg

And a few overview shots of the sidings in its various stages

MRYo7OQ.jpg

c7boR2H.jpg

WY3lIPL.jpg

And I think someone mentioned the tall signal box earlier

OTCfSBd.jpg

Good choice, do you have a thread on here of your layout?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 02/01/2021 at 21:17, 37114 said:

Good choice, do you have a thread on here of your layout?

I do. However I’ve been very lazy and not updated it in quite a long time. 

Once I get back up there, I’ll get some photos and post a (probably rather lengthy) update

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Okay it's a private siding, but still....

Burntisland 1978

Burntisland bonus

A private siding is fine with me. Another photo that oozes atmosphere, I love the infilled trackwork :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/11/2020 at 19:43, Gilbert said:

Been going under that M5 bridge regularly since 1986, never knew it was railway related.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

They took fruit and veg from Kent to be made into soup and the like I think, but I have a vague idea they ran from Maidstone, rather than Ashford, or maybe it was both.

There was definitely a rail connection to the Ashford plant; the gates were there until fairly recently. I think it was the finished product that was transported; Batchelor's soups? I note the one in the posting is 'off the road', a fairly normal thing for these beasts.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Makes sense - I was struggling a bit to see Palvans as suitable for F&V. But, the F&V flow northwards for soup-making I didn't dream-up, there was one, but maybe different vehicles at a different date. I'm half-sure it went to Scotland somewhere.

There was a flow of beetroot from Eastern England to Baxter's in Scotland in early EW&S days.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I was thinking a lot longer ago than that. There was also a soup and tinned-fruit factory at the back of the Medway towns, I can’t remember exactly where, which sent goods by rail to Scotland.

There was a Metal Box factory in Strood (on the line between Strood and Cuxton) which had a rail connection at one point. By the time I got interested in the late 70s, any traffic there had gone to road.

The site is now a Royal Mail depot.

Edit: factory shown with connection on this NLS map:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/189261197

- go north from the C in the big word 'ROCHESTER' until you cross the Strood-Cuxton line and hit a big grey-shaded 'Works'

Edited by eastwestdivide
map
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1