Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Where is this Denton? I don’t recognise it as the one near Strood, but maybe I’ve not got my eyes switched on properly.

Source Flickr page says near Manchester.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Reading the responses under it might not be as late as 1970, though it can't be earlier than 1963 because of the yellow Bantam Karrier with Rail freight 'flying crate' arrow.

Yeah, it does look more 60s than 70s, but it's one of those "cool photos I can crowbar into an existing thread" situations.

• RMweb Gold

There are at least 12 Dentons in England, excluding Upper Denton and Denton Holme.

It is also the fictional location for the nearest town in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, so who knows what that railway man is about to do…

…it’s just a step to your left…

Edited by Regularity
The Denton in Northamptonshire has a very nice pub with excellent food.
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

There are at least 12 Dentons in England, excluding Upper Denton and Denton Holme.

It is also the fictional location for the nearest town in The Rocky Horror Picture Show, so who knows what that railway man is about to do…

…it’s just a step to your left…

....and in A Touch of Frost of course. Looking at those two photos and what's there now (I drove past this morning, and going home this evening) you wouldn't believe it was the same piece of ground

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 09:35, Fat Controller said:

Stockport to Stalybridge line, near Guide Bridge.

three way junction on the line from stockport to guide bridge left crowthorne junction and the lines to Droylesden & ashton moss . strait ahead for guide bridge . right for stalybridge via the hooley hill loop (guide bridge avoiding line ) not a lot left of tha lot now 

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

You chaps might as well be trying to describe the Beijing tube map for all this lot means to a southerner.

image.png.e32c4874c39dd8eae270fc19b8a424ae.png

The Beijing tube has nothing on the railways of Manchester for sheer knottedness:

image.png.77e9692c0bab959e5b983e8bcfe08278.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

image.png.e32c4874c39dd8eae270fc19b8a424ae.png

The Beijing tube has nothing on the railways of Manchester for sheer knottedness:

image.png.77e9692c0bab959e5b983e8bcfe08278.png

Comparison of apples and oranges as the top one is using Beck’s method and the bottom is actually geographically correct unlike the top one.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

You chaps might as well be trying to describe the Beijing tube map for all this lot means to a southerner.

Hi Kevin,

Its all just game, when it is over it all goes back in the box;

P8060084.JPG.b1f32eb05f7f0500eb32c2c2b791a08a.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Comparison of apples and oranges as the top one is using Beck’s method and the bottom is actually geographically correct unlike the top one.

I was aiming for humour. But a Beck projection map of the pre-Grouping railways of Manchester would be interesting and entertaining.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I was aiming for humour. But a Beck projection map of the pre-Grouping railways of Manchester would be interesting and entertaining.

Hi Stephen,

I suspect that your aim was good, however the target "may" have moved.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1