Pictures of quaint small goods yards in the 70s-90s

3 hours ago, lanchester said:

Comparing pix 1 and 2, although in the second a number of tracks have been lifted, including what I assume would have been 'platform 2' on the island, , a siding seems to have been re-instated on the outside of the island platform. Any ideas why? Did the track rationalisers just get carried away? 

I don't know myself, but one of the reasons why I posted all the pics was to show evolution of the station. At some later point they also removed the island platform and reworked/lengthened the stabling sidings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

As instances, there was a huge one, I think a grain store, north of Oxford

Which I think is now the site of Oxford Parkway Station, so the site still has a rail use.

Adrian

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 62613 said:

What's going on with that brakevan on the right?

Earth Fault.

A buffer missing, so probably had a rough shunt, and not worth repairing. It looks as if it might actually be sitting on top of the buffer stop, looking at the angles, a not uncommon occurrence. Mossend used to have several single ended sidings, buffer stops reinforced with a pile of concrete sleepers, and several had one or more wagons perched on top!!

Regards

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

A trawl through Andy Kirkham's Flickr pages throws up gem after gem after gem... what a photographer! You often get the whole scene, and people, and all sorts of activities, not just close-ups of locos.

Drump Lane near Redruth, April 17 1974

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10419945123/in/photostream/

I've decided it's best to provide a link rather than embed the image.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Michael Crofts said:

A trawl through Andy Kirkham's Flickr pages throws up gem after gem after gem... what a photographer! You often get the whole scene, and people, and all sorts of activities, not just close-ups of locos.

Drump Lane near Redruth, April 17 1974

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/10419945123/in/photostream/

I've decided it's best to provide a link rather than embed the image.

Thanks, but that location and photograph has already been posted

• RMweb Gold

Much as it is nice to see all these pictures here and, it would seem all over RMWeb, I can’t help wondering that, when and if Flickr ever gets round to clamping down on or changing this image sharing thing that they have, there are going to be an awful lot of empty posts...

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Much as it is nice to see all these pictures here and, it would seem all over RMWeb, I can’t help wondering that, when and if Flickr ever gets round to clamping down on or changing this image sharing thing that they have, there are going to be an awful lot of empty posts...

Cheers

Darius

Well the image sharing is more down to clever shenanigans on the forum than what Flickr do. Even a link to non-Flickr picture will create a picture on the page.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...