Class 47 Petroleum Shell Loco's Painted at Hull Dairycoates

AeBor

I hope this is the correct place to post. If not then sorry and please feel free to move to correct section.

A few years ago I believe in one of the railway magazines, possibly Rail Express there was an article on the period when loco's were painted in Trainload Petroleum Sector livery.

I do not have the majority of my magazines now, but I believe there was a section listing all the fleet of Class 47's allocation to the Shell pool, with varies Shell related names and where each locomotive was first painted into the Petroleum livery.

I seem to remember a small handful which were repainted over a period of time at Hull Dairycoates steam shed. Also at one point I remember going with my Dad to Hull Dairycoates as he had seen a repainted Class 47 parked next to the shed.

I unfortunately do not remember when this was or which one it was. Is it possible some remembers which of the Class 47's were repainted there and if any other diesels in the 1980's or 1990's were also repainted there please (not necessarily the same livery). I am looking at the possibility of modelling a 7mm/O Gauge Class 47 which would have been painted there along with one or two other possibilities.

TIA,

John

• 3 weeks later...

As the author of that article, you recall correctly.  RFS painted the 13 Stanlow pool Class 47s at Hull Dairycoates between July and September 1988, all but 47010 receiving their nameplates immediately afterwards, Recorded fates are:

July – 47010/085/119/125/190/194

August – 47193/195

September – 47196/233/276/324/368.

• Like 1

Interesting. I have always wondered who chose the names and where the names came from. Indeed whether some of them were real!. I was a professional biologist, although not marine, but it did mean I knew where to look and I still have failed to find some of the names in any biological dictionary or similar.

Paul

• 2 months later...