Japan railway journal

railroadbill

Not sure if I should post this on the web site thread, but it is about  documentary tv-style programs.

I originally posted this reference on the Railways of Asia thread but it  may be of wider interest.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/japanrailway/

I came across this site which regularly produces documentaries on Japanese railways. They are 30 mins each or so, there is an American presenter with 2 Japanese co-presenters.  Something of a travelogue (nothing wrong with that of course) but they often go  behind the scenes.  The one on the Tokyo subways was great. All episodes on demand,  good selection to pick from.

One on the Japanese railway museum.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2049054/

Part of NHKworld-Japan that does  various other programs about Japan and Japanese culture (including language lessons!)

Worth a look.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

It is quite entertaining, and has some interesting subjects. It's presentation style is a bit fluffy, there isn't much chemistry between the presenters, but it is an uninterrupted 30 minutes of Japanese trains - and not just about the Shinkansen. As you say, well worth a look.

The presenter used to be a chap called Russell Totten, who is English. The current presenter is Nathan Berry, an Aussie.

• RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2019 at 16:11, railroadbill said:

Not sure if I should post this on the web site thread, but it is about  documentary tv-style programs.

I originally posted this reference on the Railways of Asia thread but it  may be of wider interest.

I came across this site which regularly produces documentaries on Japanese railways. They are 30 mins each or so, there is an American presenter with 2 Japanese co-presenters.  Something of a travelogue (nothing wrong with that of course) but they often go  behind the scenes.  The one on the Tokyo subways was great. All episodes on demand,  good selection to pick from.

One on the Japanese railway museum.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2049054/

Part of NHKworld-Japan that does  various other programs about Japan and Japanese culture (including language lessons!)

Worth a look.

I started a thread on this ages ago:

• 3 weeks later...

I too have become an avid JRJ viewer and I do agree that the presentation is more than a little stilted, with no obvious chemistry between the presenters (I think Russell Totten came across as a railway enthusiast, the current presenter - Nathan Berry - doesn't seem to have [or project] that enthusiasm).

The episode on the Tokyo Metro should become obligatory watching for ALL London Underground staff (and at all levels...)

I loved the various episodes they have done on the various Japanese Luxury Trains (such as the Seven Stars in Kyushu, the Twilight Express Mizukaze [love the Art Deco look], the Royal Express or the Shiki-Shima Sleeper Train). They make some of the other luxury trains (no names, no pack drill) look rather shabby.

Interestingly, Japanese Railways are privatised - yet manage to be light years ahead of what we've been able to do in the UK. An ASLEF acquaintance of mine said "Japan privatised the right way, Britain the wrong..."

I've been fortunate enough to ride the Shinkansen, the Tokyo Subway and a local line in Japan - all exemplary!

iD

p.s. NHK World is also good for no-nonsense cooking programmes (where the emphasis is on the food, not the presenters) and their Sumo highlights (Mrs iD and I are fans of both Tochinoshin and Enhō, whilst Hakuhō is an amazing wrestler)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I too have become an avid JRJ viewer and I do agree that the presentation is more than a little stilted, with no obvious chemistry between the presenters (I think Russell Totten came across as a railway enthusiast, the current presenter - Nathan Berry - doesn't seem to have [or project] that enthusiasm).

The episode on the Tokyo Metro should become obligatory watching for ALL London Underground staff (and at all levels...)

I loved the various episodes they have done on the various Japanese Luxury Trains (such as the Seven Stars in Kyushu, the Twilight Express Mizukaze [love the Art Deco look], the Royal Express or the Shiki-Shima Sleeper Train). They make some of the other luxury trains (no names, no pack drill) look rather shabby.

Interestingly, Japanese Railways are privatised - yet manage to be light years ahead of what we've been able to do in the UK. An ASLEF acquaintance of mine said "Japan privatised the right way, Britain the wrong..."

I've been fortunate enough to ride the Shinkansen, the Tokyo Subway and a local line in Japan - all exemplary!

iD

p.s. NHK World is also good for no-nonsense cooking programmes (where the emphasis is on the food, not the presenters) and their Sumo highlights (Mrs iD and I are fans of both Tochinoshin and Enhō, whilst Hakuhō is an amazing wrestler)

The latest episode had the presentation from a dedicated studio for the first time.

It used to come from the Shinjuku Diorama bar with the alcoholic drinks normally on offer replaced by coffees etc.

Since then it has come from many places.

"Interestingly, Japanese Railways are privatised" Well yes and no, with various amounts of public involvement at national, prefecture and local level. Much like the Swiss private railway companies.

Some parts of JR are fully private and listed on the Tokyo exchange

JR Hokkaido, JR Shikoku and JR Freight are still wholly national government owned.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

..."Interestingly, Japanese Railways are privatised" Well yes and no, with various amounts of public involvement at national, prefecture and local level. ..

I know, but I was greatly simplifying to keep my post short. I think that to really understand how Japanese Railways work you have to be Japanese.

But we Gaijin can enjoy their railways nonetheless

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I know, but I was greatly simplifying to keep my post short. I think that to really understand how Japanese Railways work you have to be Japanese.

But we Gaijin can enjoy their railways nonetheless

Japan was a place I always wanted to go to and never managed it. It's unlikey now I ever will.

Closest I got was Hong Kong.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 17/08/2019 at 16:50, Claude_Dreyfus said:

The presenter used to be a chap called Russell Totten, who is English. The current presenter is Nathan Berry, an Aussie.

Ryo Takagi provides excellent, informative background detail.

Totten made a good 'host' and let the 'Guest' do the reports.

Berry, on the other hand, just wants to be in front of the camera to a certain extent and takes the lion's share of the reports, using the 'Guest' more as a pundit.

On 16/09/2019 at 14:06, iL Dottore said:

Agreed on all points, iD; couldn't have put it better!

The Ginza Panoramic Bar(?) made a great base, especially with (often relevant) stock running around the Kato layout. Somehow, the bar on the old platform of the first station in Japan does not have the same appeal but the programme content is good and diverse.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

The Ginza Panoramic Bar(?) made a great base, especially with (often relevant) stock running around the Kato layout. Somehow, the bar on the old platform of the first station in Japan does not have the same appeal but the programme content is good and diverse.

Bar Ginza Panoramic Shinjuku.

Closed in 2017, presumably why the programme moved from there.

The problem I found in RT's tenure that IMHO the varying female support was just for decoration and few of them spoke sufficient English to give a decent report.

Yasuna Mizobata who was on until the latest episode has been on for some time spoke decent English and was better at describing the experiences that the train journey offered.

She seems to have been replaced on the latest episode by Maiso Ishii who also fortunately speaks good English

I'm always amused by the presenters saying "Take a Look" whilst proferring their hand, palm up!

If you have missed any episodes, most (all?) are available here:

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

i was amazed a few weeks back at the tokyo circular, their timetables are counted at 30 second increments and the drivers can keep to it. the double deck storage sidings is a brilliant idea.

Nathan does somewhat seem to enjoy doing the job but he is a bit stale and it would be nice to hear more from Ryo Takagi. and the guest is always just a token pretty face so its not just men though they do have good english skills.

i think the "please take a look" is about sentence structuring that comes from how it would be in japanese. to talk about the subject and then end with something like "mite kudasai" or "Onegaishimasu" though im not sure of the exact wording. and for some reason they have to stick to this structuring 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ryo looked so happy to have a go at the "please take a look"

out of all the new systems of the new shinkansen, probably the best one is the battery. in sistuations like when LNER had power failure earlier this year stranding passengers for hours in the heat. having a battery could take the train forward to maybe the nearest station or at least a more convenient place like where there is a gated access at the track side for network rail vehicles

i doubt any UK works would give traverser rides if they had an open day

• Like 1

I've been watching JRJ for some time now , I agree the presenting sometimes is a bit lacking but I watch it primarily for the subject matter - it gave me a few ideas before I visited Japan , and now, having been , I do have a greater interest in the railways there . 

Working in the rail industry , I do find the reports on how they do that side of things to be particularly interesting.

I see it as a decent bit of entertainment , there aren't many other TV programs dedicated to railways that are like it.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

just had to look up who she is, i'm a bit apprehensive but at least being an experienced online presenter she will bring some enthusiasm in place of Nathan's monotone voice, maybe even some proactive conversation with Ryo other than just obviously scripted questions

• Like 1

Just watched an episode on JR freight,  "JR freight in business for the long haul"  which covers the new freight centre  "JR rail gate west".  It's a bit of a promotional power point presentation, but very interesting in how rail and road usage has been affected by covid, for one thing.  Lots of shots of JR freight locos (including a new one where a container is carried on the loco itself).

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2021 at 16:45, sir douglas said:

just had to look up who she is, i'm a bit apprehensive but at least being an experienced online presenter she will bring some enthusiasm in place of Nathan's monotone voice, maybe even some proactive conversation with Ryo other than just obviously scripted questions

I too am rather apprehensive about the new presenter. The program was never particularly heavy-weight, but I hope the program isn't spoiled by focusing too much on the presenter as a 'personality' (which you couldn't really accuse Nathan of being!). I agree that it would be good for Ryo to share more of his (obviously extensive)  knowledge. We shall see...

20 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Just watched an episode on JR freight,  "JR freight in business for the long haul"  which covers the new freight centre  "JR rail gate west".  It's a bit of a promotional power point presentation, but very interesting in how rail and road usage has been affected by covid, for one thing.  Lots of shots of JR freight locos...

It was a bit of a puff-piece for JRF, but nothing wrong in that. Being a Japanese rail fiend, it is a pleasant 30 minute diversion.

(including a new one where a container is carried on the loco itself).

The M250 is quite an impressive beast. Interestingly all of the locos featured (with one notable exception) are available in model form... including the M250 (which is a 16 car FMU). Missing is the new HD300 shunter which featured a few times. 

• RMweb Premium

Just watched an episode on JR freight,  "JR freight in business for the long haul"  which covers the new freight centre  "JR rail gate west".  It's a bit of a promotional power point presentation, but very interesting in how rail and road usage has been affected by covid, for one thing.  Lots of shots of JR freight locos (including a new one where a container is carried on the loco itself).

There is a similar UK thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_MPV

Also see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CargoSprinter

• Informative/Useful 1

that was suprisingly refreshing, Ryo got to talk a lot more, there was a natural feeling conversation between the 2, the whole show has got refresh, new intro and new model on the table. I like the new format and hope they are keeping it, longer indepth subject pieces