Japan railway journal

railroadbill

Thanks for the info,  a good episode, glad the series is still going.  The road/rail bus was interesting, and I liked the way the piece on withdrawn 185 units was followed by a model one running on their layout. Thought Cathy Cat had settled into the presenter role very well, and Prof. Takagi Ryo good value as before. 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, railroadbill said:

Thanks for the info,  a good episode, glad the series is still going.  The road/rail bus was interesting, and I liked the way the piece on withdrawn 185 units was followed by a model one running on their layout. Thought Cathy Cat had settled into the presenter role very well, and Prof. Takagi Ryo good value as before. 

The Road/Rail bus was done by Karrier & the LMS 90 years ago so not as stated a world's first.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa306.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/smjsa313.htm

It's nice that all Japanese names are now correctly presented in <Title> - <Family Name> - <First Name> format and not Western style as it used to be a while back.

• Like 1

Thanks for link, think there was  once a kit (k's?) for the Karrier road/rail bus. There have been small works vehicles like Landrovers and unimogs modified to run on rails as well as road, also seen pickups like this in the US. 

Agree re correct Japanese name convention.

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, sir douglas said:

next episode coming next Thursday (29th) about the "romance car" museum mentioned in the last episode. interesting looking things, mutiple units which are also observation cars by moving the driving cabs onto the roof

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c2/OER_Romancecar_Hakone_-LSE_old_color-.jpg

OER_Romancecar_Hakone_-LSE_old_color-.jp

As previously seen in Switzerland:

image.png.be5d99127c4e0ef47fd85fb087f4d212.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got round to watching the "romance car"  episode (they said that romance car refers to the seating with no middle arm rest, apparently this was a popular type of seat in cinemas and similar when the first trains were built).  Interesting museum,  - which has a massive n gauge layout on the upper floor, covering part of the route the romance car trains ran on.  Well worth watching just for this, (comes in about 2/3rds way through at about 19 mins in.)

Cathy Cat had to wear a face mask when visiting the museum and Prof. Takagi Ryo appeared remotely so a covid episode....

If you haven't seen it, well worth a watch!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Another new Cathy Cat one this week featuring the Shinano Railway and it's creative way of funding new rolling stock, which I found interesting.

Good.

They have just had 2 months of repeating sept/oct/nov 2019 episodes.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I liked the rewards programme for private investors. It was called a "treasure hunt"

They give you a screwdriver, hard hat, hi-vis & a bucket and you unscrew what you like off the inside of a withdrawn unit.

I didn't notice anyone trying to remove the driver's desk.:D Maybe that's off limits?:(

For some reason my recorder decided not to record the afternoon showing and went for the 21:30 showing instead.:scratchhead:

Seems odd as it's on series link and flagged it up for this afternoon as usual but after the scheduled time had passed it just said "not recorded" and re-scheduled for the later one.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2021 at 17:22, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Missing is the new HD300 shunter which featured a few times. 

World Kougei wanted to do it in N scale in brass, both RTR and as a kit. However, they had to backtrack when either JRF or Toshiba threatened a lawsuit...

Cheers Nicholas

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nick_Burman said:

World Kougei wanted to do it in N scale in brass, both RTR and as a kit. However, they had to backtrack when either JRF or Toshiba threatened a lawsuit...

Cheers Nicholas

Rumour has it that a handful did see the light of day (EPs perhaps that escaped into the wild?). I did not know the reasons for the cancellation (I had one on order myself, with the accompanying small mortgage!), but it's a shame it came to that... especially as there are N gauge models of both JRF and Toshiba locos out there. Hopefully that has not put off anyone else from producing the HD300; but given the fact they have been around for over a decade in some form or another and still not been produced in model form, I wonder if we will ever see one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

This afternoon's broadcast slot on NHK TV (Sky 507) was dropped due to breaking news of earthquake in Japan.  I've reset it to record overnight.

Thanks for that.

Now reprogrammed for the later slot.

Unusually NHK didn't change the programme info and my box recorded a 30 min news item.

Really liked "This is not the end of the line" (Oct 14).  One of the installations was by Turner prize winning artist Simon Starling,  really cool.  Storing sake bottles in a disused tunnel was (actually) cool as well.  Highlight was the "Abandoned Train cafe".  And a nice touch was the studio layout, which had no trains running and a representation of one of the art installations on the station. (Shown at the end).

Another good one for catch up was the Sept 9 one, actually a repeat of a 2019 episode, on the new N700S Shinkansen, which also covered Shinkansen development over the years. Interesting that the new ones have  lithium ion batteries as a back up which will power the train at 15mph to  move it a short distance in case of emergencies. (being Japan that could be earthquake, typhoon or attack by Godzilla). 

Sayonara

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Another Cathy Cat one but a repeat already.  The one about the dual mode vehicle which they disappointingly kept calling a world first despite the pre war (don't mention the war) existence of the LMS Karrier road-railer

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lms_ro-railer.htm

As I posted on July 14th:yes:

20 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

Another Cathy Cat one but a repeat already.  The one about the dual mode vehicle which they disappointingly kept calling a world first despite the pre war (don't mention the war) existence of the LMS Karrier road-railer

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lms_ro-railer.htm

Anybody thought about the UK Class 73? 3rd rail electric or Diesel electric?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...