Vintage British tinplate

Prometheus

Some advice sought please...

I have just been given an LNWR tinplate open wagon (very coarse O gauge) which must date from the 30s if not earlier. It was manufactured by ‘ML Ltd England’, but I have not come across this company before nor have I been able to discover anything about it on line. 

Is anyone able to shed any light on the manufacturer for me?

many thanks.

Tony

Meccano = Hornby.

Early to mid 1920s.

I’m guessing g “nut and bolt” construction, and, if you are lucky, the lettering being tin-stamped and fixed with tabs through the body-side.

Value? I’d say £20 to £40, a lot more If utterly pristine and boxed.

Photo stolen from “The Station Masters Rooms”.

A4C48A45-17E3-46F4-83CF-7BFBAE8A0F34.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Meccano = Hornby.

Early to mid 1920s.

I’m guessing g “nut and bolt” construction, and, if you are lucky, the lettering being tin-stamped and fixed with tabs through the body-side.

That’s the one - separate  lettering attached with little tabs. Had not realised that was the early Meccano logo on the side.

many thanks

Tony

They are quite rare and came lettered for several pre-gouping railways. Not GWR for some reason. I suppose Birkenhead didn't count as local, being the wrong side of the Mersey?  I believe they bolt together IIRC. With the grouping a new design of wagon appeared from Hornby and the clipped on lettering disappeared. Gold lettering was popular for a while.

Hornby trains were first announced in Meccano Magazine in June/July 1920, but they didn’t advertise them properly until well into 1921, because demand was such that they couldn’t keep up over the Christmas period, even without proper adverts!

From what I can discern from the definitive book, the tabbed lettering ceased c1923/4.

445BF36D-7576-41FA-8E58-208EE4D32528.jpeg

70D33790-B7CB-41F8-92C8-C7E662C94D5E.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

.....and not cheap toys, either.

Many thanks for the further replies - appreciated.

For those who are interested, the wagon came from the same source that gave me - the day before - this delightful affair:

48538219332_c45788f8bc_c.jpg

48538073716_13e5dfa68f_c.jpg

Made by Doll and Co in the early 1920s [almost certainly, I thought originally Willesco, but was incorrect], it is missing one or two easily replaceable parts. A test steam will be undertaken in due course, after cleaning and checking. It hasn't run in anger for well over 60 years and the original owner was forbidden from using it again after setting fire to the lounge carpet.

Tony

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

Very easy with meths! My brother's Mamod traction engine never worked again after we used the wrong fuel for it....

Quote from the Hornby ad. "The Hornby Train lasts for ever."  True enough! It takes neglect or deliberate misuse to kill them. My LMS No. 1 tank from two or three years later still runs perfectly.

The 30/- (1922) is allegedly now £84.53. One saved a few bob by buying the set. I believe the LBSC version is the rarest.

10 hours ago, Prometheus said:

it is missing one or two easily replaceable parts

Looks like its just the chimney, a drivebelt to the dynamo and a lightbulb you'll need!

Oil all round and off you go.  (just check that the safety valve isn't sticking...)

19 hours ago, Prometheus said:

.....and not cheap toys, either.

Many thanks for the further replies - appreciated.

For those who are interested, the wagon came from the same source that gave me - the day before - this delightful affair:

48538219332_c45788f8bc_c.jpg

48538073716_13e5dfa68f_c.jpg

Made by Doll and Co in the early 1920s [almost certainly, I thought originally Willesco, but was incorrect], it is missing one or two easily replaceable parts. A test steam will be undertaken in due course, after cleaning and checking. It hasn't run in anger for well over 60 years and the original owner was forbidden from using it again after setting fire to the lounge carpet.

Tony

I have this very same engine!  A word of caution, I would try and find an alternative Mamod burner or similar as the original is very prone to boiling the meths and ending up as a fireball. Probably what happened to the original owner all those years ago.  Very advisable to have a large damp cloth on standby. Also the pressure gauge is very inaccurate. Mine goes off the end of the dial with barely enough steam to turn the engine (And yes I did make sure the safety valve was working correctly) Other than that they are well made. 

• RMweb Gold
On 19/08/2019 at 18:27, Prometheus said:

Thanks for that Titan. Are Mamod solid fuel or liquid fuelled?

Tony

Hi Tony I collect Mamod stationery engines and some of mine are steamed using three different fuels.

Esbit tablet stink and can be harmful if not ventilated properly.

Meths is a little better, but word of caution can also be dangerous. Not the cleanest of fuels.

My favourite is gas fuel to run my engines, cleaner for our engines and much safer to use.

On 19/08/2019 at 18:27, Prometheus said:

Thanks for that Titan. Are Mamod solid fuel or liquid fuelled?

Tony

It depends on the age.  Early models are meths fired, later ones are solid fuel to comply with safety regulations.  I use one of the vapourising meths burners as used in the road vehicles, and it seems to run quite well on that without bursting in to flames.

DSC02460.JPG.dfef001e40842e8cbd633280093a7c6f.JPGDSC02456.JPG.939f0c9c6fddf19c24ce05a3203c0939.JPG

And the death trap burner...

IMG_4860.JPG.35f5c191c1ba2090087518bb62c2bf91.JPG

https://youtu.be/lCECs7k4Tmw

Edited by Titan