Hornby Class 25

cessna152towser

• RMweb Premium

I recently purchased a second hand Hornby BR Freight Set, dating from 1978 and which had obviously seen very little use.

The loco, D7596 initially moved off enthusiastically as soon as power was applied, but then it stopped on the first curve with the motor still turning.

I identified the problem as excessive sideplay in the axles of the power bogie, causing the gear train to disengage from the gears on the drive axles.

Easily fixed by affixing plastic shims to the inside of the bogie to reduce the sideplay.

I wonder if this was a common fault with this model and may explain why this set was soon laid aside by the initial owner.   One can imagine the disappointment of the original purchaser.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

This takes me back, as that was the same as my first trainset for Christmas 1978.  Since then, I've owned a few Hornby 25s, and butchered a few too, but none with the problem you've described.

As Il Grifone has said, check the B2B measurement.  Also check to see if the wheels are loose on their axles; I've found this happens often with the Hornby design.

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

• Thanks 1