GE 44 Ton Switchers in Europe

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

They almost did, the RSD1, which was a six-axle version supplied to USATC for use in Iran, but that had a tall cab, so I don't think it would have fitted over here.

Slightly later USATC did procure the 1600hp MRS1, which was a small loading gauge "go anywhere" road locomotive. In a previous thread I posted a drawing of one that I'd mocked LMS lettering onto, but actually they were too late for that.

If that have happened there could have been license built alco locos and the modernisation plan may very different 

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Very nice plank Dava.

Is that a Bachman H0 loco? If so, I had a couple, plus 70 toners, when it first came out, c1990.

It’s proper O scale, a Rich Yoder brass model, with single boxcar as in Claremont & Concord RR. Behind is my 014 gypsum mine layout. A Claremont photo-at Coy Paper Co. below. 

Dava4E660F06-2624-49B4-84CB-F7DCE8BD6506.jpeg.d8e1f299a76c6bf86c2f22a1e6271b20.jpeg

• Like 1

Very nice Dava.

For those who haven’t seen it before, here’s my current, three-rail 0 one. From MTH, and not drop-cabbed. It’s a very good cast-metal structure, so I won’t be cutting it down!

F0A93148-EC59-4B90-AEA8-285EA1F284EC.jpeg.10ec95cb1e16ce77d70b8dd9879db969.jpeg

Now, Italian FS ones: I’m not totally sure they were GE locos, I think possibly Davenport, and I still don’t know whether they were ‘army surplus’ or bought new. Tourret doesn’t mention them, but he only covers USATC, not for instance USN. Any clues?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Very nice Dava.

For those who haven’t seen it before, here’s my current, three-rail 0 one. From MTH, and not drop-cabbed. It’s a very good cast-metal structure, so I won’t be cutting it down!

F0A93148-EC59-4B90-AEA8-285EA1F284EC.jpeg.10ec95cb1e16ce77d70b8dd9879db969.jpeg

Now, Italian FS ones: I’m not totally sure they were GE locos, I think possibly Davenport, and I still don’t know whether they were ‘army surplus’ or bought new. Tourret doesn’t mention them, but he only covers USATC, not for instance USN. Any clues?

The FS locos were 65t Whitcomb locos, Wikipedia says they were built for the US Army and the British army for use in the Middle East https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_D._Whitcomb_Company 

I visited the Sierra RR a few years ago, all of their diesels are ex-military, I’ve put a link to my Flickr page below https://www.flickr.com/gp/nicks_trainstuff/q9KEPj

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

Yes, my old H0 ones had two little motor bogies, very good, but not quite that silky-smoothness of a central motor and big flywheels.

Now, can I enlist help to identify a 44/45 tonner that I saw very fleetingly in Spain about twenty five years ago? (Its raining; you're not busy!)

When the first line of Bilbao Metro opened, I attended a week-long conference and series of technical visits (plus a huge banquet!) hosted by their regional government, as "official representative" of London Underground . On one of the construction sites for the second line the contractor was using what looked exactly like a GE44 tonner on metre gauge. Now, I know that Babcock & Wilcox built GE 44/45 tonners under license in Spain, some going to the steel company Hunosa, but they were rod-coupled B-B, whereas this one was a Bo-Bo.

Any clues as to origin?

On 05/02/2021 at 08:58, Nearholmer said:

Here’s a new one on me: ex- US military railway in Morocco, to Spain’s only SG railway. Looks like they had to adjust the cab to fit the loading gauge, because it doesn’t seem to be a ‘drop cab’ military-spec one. http://www.locopage.net/lang-301.jpg

That'll be FC Langreo no. 301, as you say a rare instance of standard gauge in Spain.  Built as GE 18148/1942, it was ex-USATC no. 7932 Casablanca, and sold on in 1962.

On 05/02/2021 at 15:52, Nearholmer said:

Now, can I enlist help to identify a 44/45 tonner that I saw very fleetingly in Spain about twenty five years ago? (Its raining; you're not busy!)

When the first line of Bilbao Metro opened, I attended a week-long conference and series of technical visits (plus a huge banquet!) hosted by their regional government, as "official representative" of London Underground . On one of the construction sites for the second line the contractor was using what looked exactly like a GE44 tonner on metre gauge. Now, I know that Babcock & Wilcox built GE 44/45 tonners under license in Spain, some going to the steel company Hunosa, but they were rod-coupled B-B, whereas this one was a Bo-Bo.

Any clues as to origin?

As I know you're a member, I suggest you try the IRS IO Group, Kevin.

As Northroader identifies, some Spanish GE licence-builds were exported to Uruguay - although standard gauge and built in 1972 puts them outside the frame.

The latest IRS "Spanish handbook" doesn't appear to cover any construction/service stock for the Bilbao Metro (see Sections 2 and 3), but if you have the older "Locomotives and Railcars of the Spanish n.g. railways", then it might be worth checking the listings for Euskotren (FEVE/ET and ET/FFVV).  There's nothing I can see that stands out, however.

Not all the GE licence builds for the domestic market had rod-coupled bogies.  If you have the IRS handbook, there's a photo of a broad gauge example on p499.  

Otherwise, the nearest I can find is licence-built 4wDE metre-gauge 35 tonners, of which Altos Hornos had several.  At least one went to the TECSA track company and another to Museo Vasco del Ferrocarril, Azpeitia.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 months later...

Hello dear friends, 

First of all, thanks for accepting me on you forum!

I'm from Portugal, I have a family brand called ARLO micromodels, we mainly produce Portuguese H0 trains, in ready-to-run and kit versions.

My call to your forum and specifically for this topic was because we produce the kit of GE 44ton for the Portuguese railway company in H0, which is the same as US Army used on WWII.

After see the looking-for this version on H0, with some requests we have to our kit to do the US Army version, we decide to do a specific Kit with all the decals.   

Attach a photo of the decals test we've done (missing some ones yet).

You can see our H0 Kit GE 44ton CP (Portuguese Rail company) to Bachmann mechanic base, on our FB shop:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/1752659958160720/

If anyone wanna know a bit more about us, please see/follow our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/ArloMicromodels/

By the way, I'll keep you all in touch about our kit developments  :)

Any help by photos, suggestions or documents of this GE US army version, will be welcome :D

Thanks again, :good:

Best regards,

André Rocha-Brito

Arlo-Micromodels

ge44ton ARlo.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1