New Heljan 0 gauge class 37 - headache

AdamD98

Good evening all, I apologise if this is on the wrong page, however, I have one of the latest release Heljan 0 gauge class 37's and I have attempted to fit a zen buddha decoder. The loco does nothing but short my layout as it is so your help would be greatly appreciated at this stage.

I have wired as I understand everything as it says in the decoder guide. 

Is this one of those Heljan red means black things if you catch my drift?

• RMweb Premium

Any chance that you could post a picture of the installation?

It might help someone diagnose your difficulty - or as I believe the buzz words go "Your solution opportunity".

The pictures below show the decoder I have chosen. The decoder instructions are very easy to follow. 

The loco works very well on DC so I'm happy it's not a loco issue. 

Unfortunately, I broke my decoder tester so I can't check it unless I go to my local shop. 

Any ideas folks? 

Much appreciated.

IMG_20190820_113608.jpg

IMG_20190820_113556.jpg

• RMweb Premium

You could check that the red wires and black wires from the bogies are on the same side on each bogie. Sometimes they just wire both bogies the same and of course one gets turned around so red on one is black on the other. 

Roger 

• RMweb Premium

I am struggling a bit with the Bhudda leaflet shown on the web. However, the Blue socket is the common positive for all the functions. You appear to have several wires connected to it when I would expect to be able to find an equal number of wires in total connected to the (negative switched/Aux connections at the) other end of the decoder. However that shouldn't stop the decoder working.

I've usually found that it is necessary to place the red wire from one motor bogie and the black wire from the other motor bogie (together) in one of the decoder (track/red or black) terminals and the remaining pair in the other decoder (track/black or red) terminal.

I'd start there and follow up by adding the motor wires individually to the decoder's grey and orange connections. and forget the lights to start with i.e. remove the wires that you have in the blue, yellow and wire connectors. I'm surprised that there is only a single pair of motor wires. I would have expected two pairs - one for each motor. These will also need to wired with the red wire from one bogie paired with the black wire from the other bogie and vice versa for the other pair.

You can then adjust the motor connections to get the loco running the right way - i.e. forward when the throttle is set to forward - before you worry about the lights.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, the loco now runs perfectly, although I need to adjust the acceleration CV.

Lights! So as is usual, F0 turns the lights on, however both the head and tail lights come on at one end only. Again, I have followed the destructions with the zen decoder. 

The help is very much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Ray H said:

Trace the light's wiring and pair the headlights at one end with the tail lights at the other.

Thanks Ray, that's what I had done. I think in the first instance I had just muddled wires up. 

All up and running now, I have actually used the extra ports to be able to control each set of lights independently. 

• Thanks 1