Ratio 502 Cattle Dock - painting/finishing question

When I built one of these before, I ended up with the wire rails of the fencing the same colour as the posts and unsurprisingly it looked all wrong.  Now I'm building another one, and I still haven't worked out the best way forward with the fencing.  And of course, any guidance on finishing the wires is conspicuous by its absence from the painting instructions provided.

It would be nice if there was a way of chemically blackening/colouring the wires before threading them through the already-painted posts, but I'm unable to find anything on the internets that leads me to think that's a goer.  The only alternative I can see is brush-painting the wires in situ, the prospect of which doesn't exactly fill me with unbounded joy.  

So, if you've painted the Ratio Cattle Dock and you're happy with the look of the finished fencing, how did you do it?

Edited by spikey

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

What's the wire like? As you could use Carrs Metal Black to blacken it. 

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/carrs/solvents-cat2

Jason

It's not metal wire, it's actually plastic rod.

Another vote here for leaving it unpainted.

I went totally over the top with mine and changed the stone base to brick to make it into a more suitable style for East Anglia.

It' a nice kit.

Bernard

Ah. I thought it was wire as that's what it implies in the OP....

20 hours ago, spikey said:

It would be nice if there was a way of chemically blackening/colouring the wires before threading them through the already-painted posts, but I'm unable to find anything on the internets that leads me to think that's a goer.  The only alternative I can see is brush-painting the wires in situ, the prospect of which doesn't exactly fill me with unbounded joy.  

Jason

4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

What's the wire like?

0.5mm diameter, looks like bright steel but isn't attracted to a magnet, so perhaps nickel silver? Maybe I'll phone Ratio tomorrow and ask 'em what it is.  Thanks for the suggestion!

3 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

It's not metal wire, it's actually plastic rod.

Er ... no.  I can tell the difference.  This kit contains metal wire, as did the last one I built.  That's why I referred to "wires".

Edited by spikey
afterthought

2 hours ago, spikey said:

0.5mm diameter, looks like bright steel but isn't attracted to a magnet, so perhaps nickel silver? Maybe I'll phone Ratio tomorrow and ask 'em what it is.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Er ... no.  I can tell the difference.  This kit contains metal wire, as did the last one I built.  That's why I referred to "wires".

Interesting.

It was a long time ago and my brain is rather addled.

Just checked and I must have used Slaters plastic rod as I still have a packet with some lengths in it. As it is a dark reddish brown it looks OK as it comes.

Bernard

I have a half built Ratio cattle dock that I only bought a couple of years ago. The railings in this kit are made from plastic rod. I can't find my original reference but I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of these structures (and a few fences on the GWR) used old boiler tubes, painted black or grey when first fitted, as railings. These probably weathered quickly with livestock rubbing against them.

Dave R.

• Informative/Useful 1