Hi there and welcome to the beginnings of my first N layout.

I'm  basing it on the Ais Gill Summit part of the line with the Signal Box and 70's track plan.

So far the baseboards and track laying/wiring has been well progressed, terrain building is the next big task.

You can see the first video update here:

Any comment/advice is welcome...

Edited by armleyroad
title change
  • Like 1

During the last few days the progress has been solid, wire mesh has been completed today and I've started work on the fiddle yards. Meantime a few small  things have been done including Dapol signals, making dummy disc shunt signals and loco detailing on 56006.

Next video update will be on Sunday*.

SAM_5573.JPG

SAM_5577.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi armleyroad,

The layout's progressing well, will be a nice 'railway in the scenery' layout.

A suggestion for your cassettes; a friend of mine used a similar system in 7mm scale with larger diameter but shorter length brass rod/tube, approximately 10mm long from memory - the engagement of the rods to tubes was eased by filing a slight taper/bevel on the outside ends of the rods and inside ends of the tubes. You could use a countersink or drill bit for the tubes - possibly the latter now that the tubes are fitted?

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, pelhama said:

Hi armleyroad,

The layout's progressing well, will be a nice 'railway in the scenery' layout.

A suggestion for your cassettes; a friend of mine used a similar system in 7mm scale with larger diameter but shorter length brass rod/tube, approximately 10mm long from memory - the engagement of the rods to tubes was eased by filing a slight taper/bevel on the outside ends of the rods and inside ends of the tubes. You could use a countersink or drill bit for the tubes - possibly the latter now that the tubes are fitted?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi there Mark, 

For me the benefit of N scale is the 'railway in the scenery' look for a reasonable size, this layout would be 10m long, 1m wide if scaled up to OO. The detailing on RTR models does not seem that far off OO standards. I'm happy enough with the cassettes for now.

Since the last update, I have completed the ballasting work and put back the Dapol signals. The track needs to be weathered to finish it off. 2mm static grass will be added to build up the scenery over the fine turf base layer and a backscene  created.

Here is a quick video:

• Like 2

• 6 months later...