North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Looking to purchase books, magazine articles about the North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway. Advice please, thank you.

Other relevant questions:- 

Motive power, was it just E1Rs, O2s and Ivatts.

Were mixed trains normal practice, if so, what types of coaches?

Was the principle goods traffic china clay or was there other traffic?

Cheers

JB

Edited by Guest

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

North Devon Clay - Twelveheads

and

North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway - Forge Press

Both specifically cover the line and both purchased.

Which DMUs were used on the line?

It was not particularly busy, just two trains a day and no Sunday workings.

JB

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold

I’m a long way from my books, but think the line closed in 1965, and am not at all sure DMUs ever penetrated it. If so then a 122 would have been the class involved, as posted above. 

A Maunsell BCK, and later Bulleid ditto, were the usual coach in the late 50s, early 60s. 

Woodenhead mentions Branch Lines to Torrington, which is a Middleton Press book, and well worth obtaining.

Guest Jack Benson
58 minutes ago, JohnR said:

No, DMUs never made it onto that line - steam worked until the end.

Hi,

Wiki ND&CJLR

Mentions the use of DMUs over the route, hence my question.

JB

• RMweb Premium

I cannot trace any reference EDIT : have now located images showing DMUs being used between Halwill and Torrington on the Light Railway though they regularly reached Torrington from Barnstaple in the line's later days.  They also worked some of the last trains at the other end from Halwill to Bude, Padstow and Okehampton.  Most were 122s but some were triples which I suspect were 116s.

The main traffic seemed to be thin air.  The passenger service was just a couple of trips, with a weekly Hatherleigh market train running for at least some of its years, and published accounts suggest the 3-man train crew often out-numbered passengers.  China clay from Meeth and milk from there and Petrockstow(e) was hauled by class 22 diesels long after the passenger service ceased.  The (e) is because the station didn't sport that letter on its sign AFAIK and neither for many years did the village itself.  It seems to have crept into use perhaps through an Ordnance Survey error.  The same is true of Yard(e).  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, csvt2004 said:

A search on Flickr for "Halwill", shows W55000 at Hole 13/02/65 and W55000 at Hatherleigh 06/02/65. Both shots by Roger Joanes.

Given the remote location and the generally thin photographic record could this possibly have been a one-off?  

This link also shows a triple claiming to be the last train from Hatherleigh in 1964

http://www.hatherleighhistory.co.uk/2014/last-train-from-hatherleigh-station/

Guest Jack Benson
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Not sure what period you are looking at Jack but I went on a railtour to Meeth in 1975. Two 4TCs sandwiching one of the SR through-wired RMBs with a 33/1 at each end.

Definitely E1R and Ivatt 2MT, no interest in diesels.

Thanks

JB