The World's Most beautiful Railway

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

A new series starts on Monday the 26th August on More4 (UK) (Freeview 18, Freesat 124)

It's called The World's Most Beautiful Railway and starts at 2100

It's about the railways of Scotland and the first episode includes footage of Union of South Africa.

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

A pleasant programme with some great shots of Scotland's beautiful scenery. Not too much in the way of false jeopardy either apart from No 9 blowing up if she ran out of water.

• RMweb Gold

Leaving either down or up past Melingriffith weir, with Castell Coch sitting high above the valley , is without doubt some of the most spectacular scenery, bar none. The fact that scene is (was) created against the backdrop of blood, sweat & tears is highly poignant. I spent the vast majority of my working life in Melingriffith, and it always continues to please me. Sweeping past the weir whilst the river Taff is in full flow is a sight worthy of attention.

Art & surroundings is, as we all know, subjective.

Cheers,

Ian.

On 27/08/2019 at 17:28, Phil Parker said:

Hmmm. False advertising as The World's Most Beautiful Railway is the Groudle Glen on the Isle of Man. There is no argument with this. 

Yes their probably can't be a argument 

what with you being a administrator! 

Said with a big grin on my face 

stir, stir, stir..............................banned ?

otherwise would have put forward Welsh Highland on a sunny day in a open coach

Edited by Graham456
  • Funny 1

On 27/08/2019 at 17:28, Phil Parker said:

Hmmm. False advertising as The World's Most Beautiful Railway is the Groudle Glen on the Isle of Man. There is no argument with this. 

The GG is surely one of the most frightening! I was guest, once, of the IOM Tourist Board for a press visit to cover and write-up all the island railways for Railway World. I recall the signs warning folk not to walk along the GG track because there isn't room for pedestrian and train together on the cliff edge. On the way back we encountered a couple of girls walking and passed them successfully. However, the greeting they got from the Guard when they walked in to the station was not something to be repeated in polite company! (CJL)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I don't know whether you would class the 'Royal Scotsman' as a special or a scheduled service, but it does visit Wemyss Bay. Here are a couple of pictures of it leaving Dunrod loop on its way to Wemyss Bay in July 2012. I believe it was empty carriages at this point. Class 47 on the front, class 37 on the back - sorry, no numbers.

IMG_1918.JPG.c934f34329ba271b5e5f4ec34385607e.JPG

IMG_1919.JPG.36e2f2d6e97f4ef1abfc796a119a4847.JPG