Powercab and Accessory Control

RedgateModels

• RMweb Gold

Here's one for you Powercab experts ....

when you hit "1" to command an accessory to turn "on" does it send the command even if it thinks the accessory is already "on" or will it only send an "off" when hitting "2" (or does it even remember?)

How a future project progresses depends on this information ;)

I don't know about the Powercab, but Multimaus sends a point command as part of the track signal (ie dcc not Xpressnet) about 15 times  .. this can be observed with any DCC sniffer reading the track dcc data  .... a method I would recommend as results may vary between software versions and reading it gives certainty.   The multimaus triggered command is repeated even longer if held down  ( for example when it is used  for an uncoupler)

From MERG discussions some years ago wrt to their accessory decoders ....Lenz sends another commandat the end of the 'time'. ... someone else may recall more on these variations.

Best not tocommit a design to aspftware feature which may change without notice ?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I would have thought the answer is that a command station will always send the command since how can it definitely know which position the accessory is on? It may think the accessory is on but that's only because that was the last command it sent. If the accessory did not complete the command for some reason, there will then be a mis-match. In the past I had Lenz LS150s and Peco solenoids and the command was always sent regardless of the current position displayed by the throttle. 

• RMweb Gold

I ask because when I had my Dynamis is certainly knew which way it thought  the turnout was set based on the last command sent. Hopefully Powercab is not so "intelligent" and does not send multiple copies of the "on" command either .....

Otherwise I'll need to spend a little more money, so not the end of the world

Even though a controller may 'know' which way the command was sent eg left or right,it does not know WHAT the device was - whether a solenoid point motor or a colour light signal,level crossing lights possibly with barrier,or a solenoid uncoupler .... it must always send the fresh command ... and my initial note was that the track signal will send more than 1 instance of the command     ... about 15 I counted with a multimaus  ... so any software based onmonitoring the dcc signal needs to understand this.    [the graphic on a multimaus handset is repeated on any device showing that accessory number - vdu smartphone tablet or other multimaus.]

• RMweb Premium

Yes - sending 1 (or 2) will repeat when pressed on a Powercab.

However - if you operate the accessory again, just by pressing the ACCY button twice, it does send the opposite command.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

16 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

I ask because when I had my Dynamis is certainly knew which way it thought  the turnout was set based on the last command sent. Hopefully Powercab is not so "intelligent" and does not send multiple copies of the "on" command either .....

Otherwise I'll need to spend a little more money, so not the end of the world

Hi,

Since I think the DCC protocol defines the number of times a command is sent a DCC command station designer could legitimately assume that it is ok to add extra copies if they so desire.

When a computer is added to a DCC system it may ask the DCC command station to send additional copies.

When Wifi smartphone throttles or multiple computers are added to a computer/DCC system there may well be multiple operators all asking for the same accessory to be set to the same state (especially true when computerised route setting is used).

So I would guess an accessory decoder should be designed to cope with multiple commands with the same requested state.

Regards

Nick