SR "Exmouth Junction" concrete Halt

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

I need some advice.  I wish to create an SR halt in the Exmouth Junction concrete slab style which will need to be scratch built.  

Dart Castings offer some supports but are unable to supply in the required quantity.  Their website also notes that their casting machine is out of action meaning fresh supplies may not be forthcoming for some time - if at all.  The fence support posts which would line the back of the platform are out of stock altogether.

No-one manufactures the concrete slabs used for the platform decking and at this stage I propose to use scored 2mm foamboard with its surface roughened and painted.  That is unless anyone knows better.

And does anyone have any ideas on leg supports.  Fence posts could be fashioned from matchsticks - something I have seen done many times where post-and-wire fencing is required.  It is the main structure of the platform and its supporting legs that have me scratching my head for now.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am familiar with the “concrete bits” including the measurements but thank you. 

What I was hoping to find was a fellow modeller who may have tackled such a project before and be able to share some scratchbuild thoughts. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice, but having previously looked at the Dart Castings bits and pieces, I wonder if they might be the sort of thing that would lend themselves to 3D printing.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonhall said:

I was under the impression that the MJT 'platform' was the carriage cleaning/depot type, not full width. 

I'd think about getting the leg portals laser cut, possibly the surface could be done as well/

Jon

Agreed.  MJT / Dart Castings pieces are for carriage-cleaning walkways or for concrete-faced platforms.  A typical halt would have had full width legs and no facings beneath the surface slabs as the expense would not have been justifiable.

For those who know them the Sussex halts at places such as Warblington, Southbourne, Nutbourne, Fishbourne, Fishersgate and Aldrington are what I am after.  I would have included East Worthing but that had its platforms significantly widened in recent years to cope with the volume of schools traffic so no longer looks quite the same.  All of those listed have had some alterations over the years but the basic structure remains the same.

For the platform surfaces, you could also look at the thick, textured card used to surround pictures inside a frame. I once used this stuff for a concrete road surface on my old layout. I even managed to find some that was concrete coloured.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For a rougher surface, a piece of mount board with the top layer peeled off could give a concrete surface (depends on how rough you want it - no, the concrete....).

HobbyCraft sell packs of bass wood strip in various cross-sections, some might be suitable for your needs.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2019 at 22:14, Gwiwer said:

I need some advice.  I wish to create an SR halt in the Exmouth Junction concrete slab style which will need to be scratch built.  

Dart Castings offer some supports but are unable to supply in the required quantity.  Their website also notes that their casting machine is out of action meaning fresh supplies may not be forthcoming for some time - if at all.  The fence support posts which would line the back of the platform are out of stock altogether.

No-one manufactures the concrete slabs used for the platform decking and at this stage I propose to use scored 2mm foamboard with its surface roughened and painted.  That is unless anyone knows better.

And does anyone have any ideas on leg supports.  Fence posts could be fashioned from matchsticks - something I have seen done many times where post-and-wire fencing is required.  It is the main structure of the platform and its supporting legs that have me scratching my head for now.  

I made a halt with Dart Castings supports, i had to wait a while for mine as well, send them an email i think its a hobby business so can take some time. I made the platform tops from 40 thou Plastikard.

IMG_20190816_121757.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thank you.  That looks quite similar to what I have in mind for Waddlemarsh.  I'll keep trying to source some Dart parts.  The running-in board is also a Dart casting which they do list as in stock so I revisit the site and hopefully place an order soon.

On 21/08/2019 at 20:53, Gwiwer said:

Agreed.  MJT / Dart Castings pieces are for carriage-cleaning walkways or for concrete-faced platforms.  A typical halt would have had full width legs and no facings beneath the surface slabs as the expense would not have been justifiable.

For those who know them the Sussex halts at places such as Warblington, Southbourne, Nutbourne, Fishbourne, Fishersgate and Aldrington are what I am after.  I would have included East Worthing but that had its platforms significantly widened in recent years to cope with the volume of schools traffic so no longer looks quite the same.  All of those listed have had some alterations over the years but the basic structure remains the same.

The platform extensions at Shoreham-by-Sea are, for the most part, in their original condition, i.e. no ugly palisade fencing being attached. The up platform has two widths so that might be worth a shot.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

The platform extensions at Shoreham-by-Sea are, for the most part, in their original condition, i.e. no ugly palisade fencing being attached. The up platform has two widths so that might be worth a shot.

The components were used for platform extensions all over the place, indeed, I suspect at almost every station in Kent, including the two nearest me, Hildenborough (country end extensions) Leigh (wholly built of the stuff), and Paddock Wood (Tonbridge, I think, was always longer). I've seen these things in 7mm by one of the laser cutting outfits, but not in 4mm (yet). I'd look at scribed plastic sheet for the platform slabs, probably in continuous strips rather than the prototypical way for the sake of longevity.

Adam

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you don’t manage to scource a supply, you could speak to Poppy’s Woodtech, he does a range of lineside laser cuts and could maybe do some of the Exmouth Junction castings as they were used everywhere in the Southern Region. Some of their basic moulds would definitely make business sense.

I made my own running in boards based on the Southern Nuveau drawings.

75A90527-A70A-499F-A467-346C6DF0DEAF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The 2mm foamboard has arrived and looks to be useable for the platforms themselves.  It is slightly thick for scale but has greater rigidity than some of the thinner options such as plasticard.  It will also accept a very fine sand glued to the surface which I can then scribe the slab-edge lines into.  

The Dart supports also include pre-bored posts for the post-and-wire fence.  However they are out of stock and cannot advise when (or if) they might become available so I am back to some sort of complete scratch build.  I have ruled out 3D printing and cutting metal because (a) I don't have or have access to a 3D printer nor the pattern required and (b) I need quite a large number for two 4-car platforms which would be a real pain to cut from any form of metal sheet.  

I could cut them from balsa but the grain of it makes fine work harder to achieve.  I need the platform supports rigid and able to accept some weight so card isn't an option.  I could use matchsticks. The longer matches are thicker in cross-section and again are over-scale for the purpose but may offer the required rigidity.  They can also be used for the fence posts bored through for fine wire with a pin vice.  They are also cheap!

On 07/09/2019 at 22:29, Gwiwer said:

The 2mm foamboard has arrived and looks to be useable for the platforms themselves.  It is slightly thick for scale but has greater rigidity than some of the thinner options such as plasticard.  It will also accept a very fine sand glued to the surface which I can then scribe the slab-edge lines into.  

You could use fine abrasive paper to get an even surface.  

Although that would add a little more to the thickness. Styrene sections would give a good range of options for the support work. More consistent than matchsticks I would have thought.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:29, Gwiwer said:

The Dart supports also include pre-bored posts for the post-and-wire fence.  However they are out of stock and cannot advise when (or if) they might become available so I am back to some sort of complete scratch build.  I have ruled out 3D printing and cutting metal because (a) I don't have or have access to a 3D printer nor the pattern required and (b) I need quite a large number for two 4-car platforms which would be a real pain to cut from any form of metal sheet.  

I could cut them from balsa but the grain of it makes fine work harder to achieve.  I need the platform supports rigid and able to accept some weight so card isn't an option.  I could use matchsticks. The longer matches are thicker in cross-section and again are over-scale for the purpose but may offer the required rigidity.  They can also be used for the fence posts bored through for fine wire with a pin vice.  They are also cheap!

I have used what I think is termed Bass Wood sheet for one or two bits of work. It is quite rigid like very thin ply but not ply! It also has a strength that you will not get with Balsa. However cutting this would be a real faff. I use it for platform top surfaces in some places as it has a good surface. The lazer cutting idea sounds good to me. Good luck.

http://www.sketchlasercutting.co.uk/   this lot look interesting.

Edited by Mallard60022

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I too need to do a similar job to @Gwiwer

I like the look of getting the platform supports laser cut.

Can anyone give me the basic dimensions of these components or send me a drawing? I don't have the Southern Nouveau book as the current price makes it look expensive...

Ian

Guest Jack Benson

eBay seller houseworkxxx54  based in Watchet, North Somerset is offering a Southern concrete halt with and without a typical shelter, it looks OK and it is made in resin.

No connection with the seller, I just noticed the halt and thought that you might be interested.

StaySafe

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2019 at 20:53, Gwiwer said:

... and over on East Coastway - Southease

IMG_3782.JPG

• Like 1