DutyDruid

Details of the 2019 Fareham RailEx which will take place on 5th & 6th October 2019.  Details from the RM Web Diary here.

The Exhibition Team decided that I don't have enough to do and have tasked me to start an Exhibition Thread going here to tell you about the layouts, traders and one or two other things that are going to be there; so let's start with what must be considered the headline act - the MRC's inspirational 2mm layout Copenhagen Fields.

Details from the MRC's website HERE

And the thread about the layout on RM Web is HERE.

Iconic? Inspirational? You bet! and the thread is well worth a read just to look at the pictures of the modelling...

This layout doesn't get out very often and certainly has not been seen down our way (South Hampshire) for a long time, it will be well worth the effort of travelling to Fareham to see it.

Next layout to follow in a few days: The Summit.

Edited by DutyDruid
Correcting typos

Next headline layout to tell you about is Yeovil Model Railway Group's masterpiece The Summit (follow the link to see their Club website description)

Moving a layout this size is no trivial task, neither will it be easy getting into our venue along with everything else through a single loading dock.  If you want to laugh at a fraught Event Controller (me) juggling vehicles into and out of the hall whilst the truck carrying this layout unloads then Friday mid-afternoon will be the time to turn up.

Next layout to highlight is RM Web Member Temeraire's  excellent offering Tidworth

I found a YouTube video of this layout at the 2016 Basingstoke show here: 

As I'm building my own military themed layout (WW2 era) I'm certainly looking forward to seeing this one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I hope to get down for the Show, as I'm moving back down to the area and can use the excuse of a property viewing to have an hour or so at the Show one of the days.

Well that's the plan.:good:

If you're moving back into the area Andy, do make sure to stop into the Squash Court and find out about the rest of the Club's activities!  I'll be with the demonstration team working on Gosport trackwork.

Elliott

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say that I will be bringing my Chinese HO layout to the Fareham show - that's right Chinese HO!

This will be the layout's third public outing and the first since some major upgrades - for the first time I am happy to claim that it is 'nearly there' as the concept I envisaged when I started the project in 2011. As the layout is now close to being finished I am very keen to interact with two types of visitors …………..

1. People who, like me, who visited China in the 1980's/90's and early 21st century to photograph the last of REAL working steam. People who have visited the same places as me, people who know people I know. People who love Chinese railways.

2. The other type of visitors I'm keen to interact with are the exact opposite - people with absolutely no interest in foreign railways at all, let alone China. That's because I always knew that Chinese railways would be a minority interest within a minority interest and so I have gone all out to add detail and features which will appeal to the 'mass audience'. Have I succeeded? We'll know after the Fareham show!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Just to say that I will be bringing my Chinese HO layout to the Fareham show - that's right Chinese HO!

Looking forward to welcoming you.

Is there a description of the layout here on RMWeb or on one of the other forums or websites that people could go to for a preview?

Yes, but that's the easy option - for now let's build the suspense!

What you can expect to see ………………….

Double-headed 2-10-2's

17 coach passenger trains

Coal trains with one 2-8-2 on the front and TWO 2-8-2's banking up a 1/30 grade

Everything you'll see on the layout was happening in China for real in the 21st century - just not all in one place! Here's a copy of the display boards we have at each end of the layout - featuring a shot of a real coal train with three 2-8-2's leaving Chengde banking station - the inspiration for part of my layout.

627042135_DisplayBoardImageFINAL.jpg.0987c02d6128f2016238d86a5eaad356.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Premium
On 02/09/2019 at 10:35, DutyDruid said:

Next layout to highlight is RM Web Member Temeraire's  excellent offering Tidworth

Hi Elliott

Thanks for the comment, just to confirm the layout will have the extension completed for the exhibition so the space requirements has increased to 6 x 2 metres.

Been a bit busy the last few days sorting through the pile of pre-loved magazines we will be selling at RailEx 2019, but I have just been reminded that it is about time I posted some more layout details, sooo...

The next layout to showcase is Swaynton   Details of the layout on RM web can be found here:

The layout has a website here: 

http://andrewavis.wix.com/swaynton

Breaking News!

This year's commemorative wagons have arrived! 

The main subject is a container branded with the name of renown local haulier Fred Dyke whose slogan was "Anywhere with Anything". 

It is available in 3 versions: SR Conflat Pristine, SR Conflat weathered and LSWR conflat pristine.

These will be available at the show and it is possible to preorder them via our website

If you want one of these don't dally, our Club Treasurer tells me that we are already have orders for well over half of the wagons available.

EDIT: Having had a chance to load the photos into this post and look at them a quick edit - the photos don't really do justice to the look of the real models.

20190926_175250.jpg

20190926_175349.jpg

20190926_175509.jpg

Edited by DutyDruid
  • Like 2

On 22/09/2019 at 15:12, DutyDruid said:

Been a bit busy the last few days sorting through the pile of pre-loved magazines we will be selling at RailEx 2019, but I have just been reminded that it is about time I posted some more layout details, sooo...

The next layout to showcase is Swaynton   Details of the layout on RM web can be found here:

The layout has a website here: 

http://andrewavis.wix.com/swaynton

Unfortunatly I am unable to update the Swaynton website, so it doesn't have this shows details. 

There is an RM thread in layouts.

We are looking forward to bringing Swaynton to Fareham. 

Edited by brightspark
  • Like 1

As I've previously posted here, I am bringing my Chinese HO layout to Fareham this weekend.

The layout tells my story of me (and my friends) visiting China many times to photograph the world's last BIG steam activity and we actually feature on the layout thanks to ModelU 3D scanning and printing.

In this scene I am sitting in a taxi waiting for the next steam-hauled train to appear ….

IMG_20191001_225634.jpg.910363adb2ecf08dfb601fc0001a7155.jpg

But as soon as I hear a steam whistle in the distance I'm out of the car and ready to take a video...………...

IMG_20191001_134911.jpg.0f05faa3f7d3b319949085d24642c4f4.jpg

• Like 1

I got along to the show today, catching the train to Fareham after the rugby, so not arriving until 1.30pm. But a nice show with a lot of good and interesting layouts. And I bumped in to quite a few people from around the country that I know.

Copenhagen Fields is outstanding and draws closer to being finished. Just what will the team do when it does get completed. Photographing it at shows is tricky as the lighting is not particularly bright, seeming to replicate an overcast day especially with the heavy cloudy backscene. Consequently, and with only taking along a small compact snap gun camera, the pics are a little poor and - I had to go up to ISO/ASA 1600 just to get the shutter speed up to a rather risky, for handholding, 1/40th at f8. Anyways here a few:

DSCN1195.JPG.fb5b3a5c5c559b35d85d5ccee9cf731c.JPG

DSCN1221.JPG.c784ed4c1bdd0312cf4bcd9590412332.JPG

DSCN1227.JPG.30bd56338ac9c7535913a8b1c7951f21.JPG

DSCN1222.JPG.76a01c535caf65ff4ffd724767b23d9f.JPG

DSCN1226.JPG.5633fef156a8e82d3dc319a0eb42c3c6.JPG

DSCN1200.JPG.e610b37f6aa84b2d84725979f1f027f1.JPG

• Like 4

Very enjoyable show and I would echo previous comments about the high standard of exhibits. Particularly liked Redbridge Wharf as I 

hadn't seen it before, just lacked the pungent aroma of creosote!  Copenhagen Fields, The Summit and Ferring are well known classics 

on the circuit but there were plenty of other exhibits to admire, my only slight niggle would be the lack of signage directing punters 

unfamiliar with the venue.

• Like 1