HS2 under review

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

We are firmly into "gilet jaune" territory now... That's the French reaction to this kind of urban hipster agenda 

The interesting thing is that we only sW the yelliw jackets in towns and cities. The farmers round here just got on with the job. Most of the local ones I saw were obviously of retirement age.

Jamie

Oh, ok. 

I’ve spent much of the past two decades working in the FSU. I’ve seen countries resurrect themselves from the economic collapse of the 1990s. It doesn’t look anything like that, it goes “retain control, retain profits, retain value. Don’t sell assets to foreign interests. Make best use of expats then make sure they all leave. Train local nationals and give them priority”. 

I’ve seen Norway develop Statoil into a world class operation. I’ve seen Dutch and Italian companies transform themselves using oil and renewables profits. It goes “make sure profits get spent on improving performance. Get, or train top class technical and operational people and back them all the way. Restrict and prevent corporate raiding so that companies can plan for the future with confidence. Make sure WE get the contracts.”

I’ve seen German, French and Spanish companies tie up revenue streams from power generation forcdecades to come.

THAT’S a strategy...

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

Oh, ok. 

I’ve spent much of the past two decades working in the FSU. I’ve seen countries resurrect themselves from the economic collapse of the 1990s. It doesn’t look anything like that, it goes “retain control, retain profits, retain value. Don’t sell assets to foreign interests. Make best use of expats then make sure they all leave. Train local nationals and give them priority”. 

I’ve seen Norway develop Statoil into a world class operation. I’ve seen Dutch and Italian companies transform themselves using oil and renewables profits. It goes “make sure profits get spent on improving performance. Get, or train top class technical and operational people and back them all the way. Restrict and prevent corporate raiding so that companies can plan for the future with confidence. Make sure WE get the contracts.”

I’ve seen German, French and Spanish companies tie up revenue streams from power generation forcdecades to come.

THAT’S a strategy...

Yep!

I've seen much the same sort of thing with Spain, Portugal and various other places since the 1970s, being members of the EU certainly helped them. It seems to be that the above named countries chose a certain amount of "protectionism" while ever since 1979, Britain chose the "free market" - and look at what happened to us!

Politics aside, maybe "we" have finally chosen to follow a path of investment, like these named countries?

Is that not a good thing?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thinking about this HST2 Review I got to Googling things  American and came across a whole lot of stuff that set me wondering about ulteria motives

So I googled directly "are Republicans anti train?"  with a string of links - of which prominent was:

Why do conservatives hate trains so much?

We also know the Prime Minister says he makes buses as a hobby ...

:senile: dh

PS

I came across US  'Positive Train Control' based upon GPS; do we have it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Allegheny1600 said:

Yep!

I've seen much the same sort of thing with Spain, Portugal and various other places since the 1970s, being members of the EU certainly helped them. It seems to be that the above named countries chose a certain amount of "protectionism" while ever since 1979, Britain chose the "free market" - and look at what happened to us!

Politics aside, maybe "we" have finally chosen to follow a path of investment, like these named countries?

Is that not a good thing?

It WOULD be a good thing, but “investment” in U.K.-speak, is a Code word for “property speculation”. It’s why we constantly hear about “productivity gap” and “productivity crisis” despite the most radical wage deflation policy of modern times, and the raiding of Eastern European production workers at the resulting wages. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, david.hill64 said:

No: EU countries are required to use ETCS, which does the same thing.

Thank you for replying about ETCS 

Perhaps ETCS hasn’t been rolled out quick enough for it doesn’t seem to have protected in some of the EU's worst C21 accidents 

I found this site collating all rail accidents instructive

Once out of the EU will we have to decide whether to stay compliant or ... ?

dh

Edit

I forgot to say that the Wiki list (linked to above) of all accidents demonstrated that GPS would not be helpful if there was a defect in the train's mechanical systems - most obviously brake failure.

Nor where a blockage had just occurred within the speeding train's ability to brake sufficiently as I think happened on the ECML at Great Heck

Edited by runs as required
additional caveat

14 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Well, it's obvious then, buy shares in German etc renewable companies. Might be wise to check their financial performance and share price history first though.

Well, there you have it. 

The Germans regard dominating the market as the principal goal, and we don’t. Who gets to tell the EU what to do, and runs the whole EU for their benefit? (Clue... not us...) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Well, there you have it. 

The Germans regard dominating the market as the principal goal, and we don’t. Who gets to tell the EU what to do, and runs the whole EU for their benefit? (Clue... not us...) 

What total bullsh*t.......(again)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• Administrators
7 hours ago, runs as required said:

We also know the Prime Minister says he makes buses as a hobby ...

We all know that Prime Minister says he makes buses as a hobby...

But then, like all politicians, he says lots of things.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

We all know that Prime Minister says he makes buses as a hobby...

But then, like all politicians, he says lots of things.

They didn't really sound like very good buses but I'm sure he thinks they're marvellous.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

They didn't really sound like very good buses but I'm sure he thinks they're marvellous.

I wonder if he faces criticism on the bus version of RMweb for their faults?

Anyway, the bring things back to the subject, if we want HS2, then all the review has to do is say "The only recommendation we make is that HS2 is forthwith known as 'Boza Express' "

bozaexpress.jpg

• Funny 6

3 hours ago, runs as required said:

Thank you for replying about ETCS 

Perhaps ETCS hasn’t been rolled out quick enough for it doesn’t seem to have protected in some of the EU's worst C21 accidents

ETCS, like PTC, has taken a long time to develop and to get to work reliably (and may not be there yet, I haven't followed things closely).

The US has delayed the deadline for PTC many times for example.

3 hours ago, runs as required said:
  • In Britain there have been many train strikes on partially blocked track and level crossings which could perhaps have been ameliorated by GPS 

GPS isn't a magical solution, whatever signalling system is used still relies on human input if something abnormal happens like a track blockage.  If the signaler doesn't know the track is blocked, they can't turn a signal red whether it is a traditional track side signal or an in cab ETCS/PTC.

• Agree 5

3 hours ago, mdvle said:

ETCS, like PTC, has taken a long time to develop and to get to work reliably (and may not be there yet, I haven't followed things closely).

... The US has delayed the deadline for PTC many times for example.

..... GPS isn't a magical solution, whatever signalling system is used still relies on human input if something abnormal happens like a track blockage.  If the signaler doesn't know the track is blocked, they can't turn a signal red whether it is a traditional track side signal or an in cab ETCS/PTC.

I suppose I have been thinking of the speed with which 'self drive' car technology has developed with GPS embedded.

The U tube video I clicked on made the US GPS based product seem like a must-have bolt-on to relieve the Engineer from unfair stress..

But will Brexit bring about regulatory railway compliance issues?

GPS for example is US and will be offered like chlorinated chicken as the EU's Galileo is left behind (and we won't have our own up and running for several years) .

dh

8 hours ago, admiles said:

The Germans regard dominating the market as the principal goal, and we don’t. Who gets to tell the EU what to do, and runs the whole EU for their benefit? (Clue... not us...

What total bullsh*t.......(again)

The dieselgate issue with VW and other car companies was an example of the under the counter protectionism and "telling everyone what to do" by  Germany,  by creating an EU-wide  taxation system for vehicles skewed  consumers to choose diesel cars over petrol tipping  the EU 27 market in  the direction of German /French cars products to the detriment of Korean/japanese car makers

Edited by Pandora
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1